POV 16:9 Helmet Cam for DVD Doc? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Trustee

POV 16:9 Helmet Cam for DVD Doc?

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that this is an area that does not have good coverage. I am working on an idea for a project that will require daily use of a helmet camera. All of the 520 line lipsticks that are reasonable are 4:3. So, as the below link reasons, an on-helmet camera is the best way to go.

Example site: http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm

Pete has some interesting observations and videos. I want to shoot POV in the same conditions. HDD recorders are not designed for this. Ideally, Digital 8 might be the best media to avoid dropouts, but there are no good cameras. I do not have the budget or the guts to hang a HC1/HC3/stripped A1 on helmet (looks at bruise on elbow from this weekend when starts thinking I could ;) )

I think the best camera might be a $700 Pani GS500, but at 3 lbs, that is 6 lbs on a helmet (counterweighted). I have heard odd rumblings that Panasonics tape mechanism in this class camera is not that stout too.

What am I missing that might be a good POV 16:9 that will yield DVD video (NLE edited, not DVD media)? Something that will not cause a heart attack (well, not a major one) if things go wrong?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Any good any from your investigation

George, I am about to go into a similar situation with a helmet cam.

What did your search / investigation find out? What did you decide to shoot with for our DVD 16:9 NLE footage for the helmet cam type shots.

Any info would be great.

Tobin
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Tobin, I settled on the Sony HC7, but DSE is finding that the Sony HC5 has fewer issues with its EIS.

I included pictures of the rig in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=97453
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Trustee

Also add to your viewing this thread at MTBR (with my links back here) http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=330387
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey George, I also was on the same vector. I neede a nice helmet cam for backcountry snowboarding. I wanted HD . Same search results....all bad 520 l.o.r. standard def cameras. So, just as you did I bought the HC-7 and then bought the Bonehead standard mounting bracket. I didnt buy the housing,just bolted it right to the helment. I made a second plate for the camera and the plate has 10x24 screws on each corner with nylon nuts . This allows for downward tilt so I can adjust in the field. Havent tried it in snow yet, but Im going to do some downhill skateboarding to see how the depth of field and focus are. I got the Bonehead tip from you. THANKs, mineis also a full face helment for the stability but mine is mounted on top. I will try to post some pics this weekend.

If you have the DVD "Roam" ( mountain bike movie) there is a clip on the dvd called "the making of Roam". In it a guy rides the Whistler Bike park with the same set up as youre...except he is using a BIG camera...looks like an HDX2000 of an FX1.

I will post some video of my rig in action soon. Thanks for the tips
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion