Books suggestion for DV Camera work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Books suggestion for DV Camera work

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good Book to have on the shelf regarding DV/HDV Camera work. What I'm after is actually a semi technical book which talks about the nuts and bolts of DOP skills.

This is why,
I am around 3/4's of the way through shooting my own short drama film. I am shooting using a Canon XL1. Now the problems I am encountering are not so much lighting or compositional issues (although these are definitely in need of development) but rather things like focus issues in particular while panning and zooming. I'm reasonably comfortable with playing with adjusting the exposure and f stop but when it comes to using the manual focus with this camera I really enter the world of being uncomfortable and barely compedent.

So anyone with suggestions on a good book that possibly has a series of exercises to do to develop ones DOP skills I would be most grateful.
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Theres a whole section here devoted to books etc. called Read About It at the bottom of the main page.
If you do a search for DOF you should find alot of threads on it. You will also find alot on panning I would assume.
I think the rules of thumb on panning is never go faster than 7 seconds across the screen, or something entering on one side of the screen should exit the other side not less than 7 seconds after. That is a practicable skill. Also panning and image stabilzers don't mix well. If you are on a tripod make sure you turn off the stabilizer but if its handheld you decide if you can be stable enough or better yet make yourself a device to steady it which you can find in the do it yourself section.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion