Canon XL2 vs. JVC HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XL2 vs. JVC HD100?

Hello,
How steep is the learning curve on these two cameras? I am interested in buying a pro camera, and I thought I decided on a new XL2, But then I realized that a used HD-100 is not too much more. Which camera would be better for short films, documentary work, etc.? Is the HD-100 worth the extra money? Please suggest any other good cameras in the XL2 price range.

Thanks,
Luke
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Speaking strictly as an XL2 owner, the learning curve can be very steep. If you have prior experience working with Prosumer camcorders, it shouldn't be too difficult, but if you don't have any experience with such camcorders, you're going to have a tough time and you're going to need a lot of patience and much trial and error. The XL2 is a great SD camcorder and I wouldn't give it up for anything that's out today.

I've never used the HD100, but it looks and reads like a great camcorder. It seems very similar to the XL2 in that they both have interchangeble lenses and both have customizable image processing. The XL2 however has a bigger zoom lens.

Personally I wouldn't go HD just yet. I can't output to HD for distribution, so I see no need to shoot HD at the moment. On the other hand, going HD now prepares you for when that time does come.

Both cameras sound like a solid choice, but if I had to pick myself, I'd go witht he XL2.
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks. After I wrote my first post, I looked into what editing HD would require, and I now think the XL2 is probably my best choice. I would have to get a deck that could read HD, and they can get pretty expensive. With the XL2 (or any other SD camera) I can just use a cheap MiniDV camcorder as a capture deck. I don't have much experience with prosumer cameras, but I am a fast learner. I appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Luke
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Major Player

You're welcome, Luke. I Hope to see your work soon.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Springer
Thanks. After I wrote my first post, I looked into what editing HD would require, and I now think the XL2 is probably my best choice. I would have to get a deck that could read HD, and they can get pretty expensive. With the XL2 (or any other SD camera) I can just use a cheap MiniDV camcorder as a capture deck. I don't have much experience with prosumer cameras, but I am a fast learner. I appreciate your response.
There's nothing to stop you using the HD100 as an SD camera too but unlike the XL2 it has the option to use HD if you want it. It also has a proper manual lens but that means that there is no autofocus or stabilizer. In SD the two cameras give pretty similar results, it is more of an ergonomic preference.

Personally I slightly prefer the picture of the HD100 and I can't stand the Canon XL lenses but the XL2 may be easier for a beginner. Try them at a dealer for yourself.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion