How much does Super 16mm, or 35mm film cost? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey,
I'm in Thailand too working on some stuff...

I'd seriously look to video first. With all the added problems over here of humidity, high temperature, etc...but biggest concern for me is "Mai Bpen Lai"...you know it over here as much as me. Thais will do something half a and then..."nevermind"...do you want some budget guy hired for pennies on the dollar running around with your film?

Plus quality developing, printing, etc over here is just as much if not more than in the states...talent is cheaper as are hired hands...but you have to hire more than in the states because they don't work well or can't think outside the box. You can hire some film school guy in the states that can do DP, editing, sound in a pinch...over here trying to get Thais to think outside what they know and stretch themselves is a pain.

Lastly why blow all that dough just to have film? It's not going to make it more successful...strong story, sets, lighting, etc will do that. Get a good video cam and invest all that money in lights, folks who know how to run those lights, good editing equipment and machines, decent talent, etc. I could stretch 100K pretty dang far over here if I wasn't trying to get film stock....

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Sean J. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

An hour of 16mm filmstock, ~ $1500 USD
Processing an hour of 16mm film stock ~ $1500 USD

versus

An hour of premium DV tapestock ~ $25
Processing an hour of tapestock $00

Last edited by Steve House; October 15th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #19
Major Player

EDIT:removed a light-hearted joke that was no longer relevant.

Last edited by Jarrod Whaley; October 16th, 2006 at 01:36 AM.
Jarrod Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

This is what it costs me, with a student discount, shooting 16mm...

For color: $80 for every 100 foot (3 mins)

B&W: $60 for every 100 foot

I used B&W Kodak Reversal and Kodachrome Color, both Tri-X. I get both projected as well (put on MiniDV tape).
Derek Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #21
Major Player

An hour of 16mm filmstock, ~ $1500 USD
Processing an hour of 16mm film stock ~ $1500 USD

versus

An hour of premium DV tapestock ~ $25
Processing an hour of tapestock $00

-----------

Of course, super16mm looks great, and DV looks like....
Old October 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Contributor

On top of processing you've got the cost of transfer to tape and that tape stock cost, as well as shipping the film to and from the lab, not to mention the cost of syncing up the sound.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I shoot 16mm film on an Arriflex 16bl. Here's some of the costs I have when shooting:

- 400ft of Kodak Vision2 250D 7205 Color Neg is around $80 retail.
- I really love Kodak Double-X 200 7222 b&w as well.

- Processing is roughly .16 / foot, so about $64 per 400foot reel, plus the postage to get it there and back.

- Telecine charges will vary greatly depending if it's supervised, scene-by-scene color corrected or just one-light throughout. I've seen telecine for one-light around .15 / ft and scene-to-scene around .18/ft. Supervised is expensive, say $100-150/hr.

Ways to save some cash - Buy short ends or recans of film. Always cheaper than retail reels, but not always easy to track down. 35mm will probably be easier to find than 16mm in short ends.

Of course, these are just some of the actual film costs. Hiring a DP and a crew is many many times these costs. I shoot all of my own film, but then again I was trained in photography, so it's an easy jump. If you're not so familiar with f-stops and light meters, you might have some trouble at first. Good luck. FIlm is a wonderful medium, much more expressive than digital. Not everyone wants to tread those dangerous waters.... but it's usually worth it :)
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #24
Regular Crew

--Derek, where are you buying your film man!! You're getting ripped off!!

100' reels should cost $30 at the very most. 400' should be arouns $80-90 ea. Call kodak or fuji and get a better deal!

--Oh, and Steve and hour of 16mm is not $1500 :)

400ft = 11min at 24fps
400ft kodak color neg film = ~$80

6 cans of 400ft (2400feet = 66min) @ $80/can = $480

Processing:

2400 feet @ .16 / foot = $384

So you're looking at roughly $865 to shoot and process 66 min of 16mm film. Not too bad:P
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I thought I read somewhere that the cost of silver is going way up and Kodak and Fuji where having to raise their prices.
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #26
Major Player

shoot digital....save yourslef lot of money that can be put toward the story and art direction etc..... and especially since u dont know much about filmmaking other than what looks good. If i was in your shoes i'd shoot digital HVX or somthing...
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Winchester
FIlm is a wonderful medium, much more expressive than digital.
That depends. I've never had so much fun with photography since digital cameras came along, since I can now afford to experiment to my heart's content. As digital video cameras get better the same will increasingly be true for movie-making, especially since most film footage ends up getting digitally processed these days anyway. Bits created digitally from the start won't be any less expressive than bits converted to digital from film, once the digital cameras are good enough.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Sure, it depends on your opinion and experience. I love both formats for their particular uses. More tools for the toolbox.
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J. Manning
I do not know anything about cameras. I know what I want frames to look like. I know what shots I want. In my mind, I can picture the entire movie from start to finish.
If you know nothing about cameras, then before you worry about 16mm vs 35mm film stocks etc. you should grab a video camera and go and shoot some test scenes with your actors, so that you learn more about cameras and their limitations. Don't just hope your DoP will do it all for you. Everyone can picture a film in their head, but everyone finds that things are a bit different when they are actually on set.
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #30
Film & Digital Cinematographer

DP Bangkok

Hi Sean i am a DP based in Bangkok , give me a call sometime if you have some more questions +66868821620 , my last short i shot here on 35mm can be viewed at http://www.myspace.com/105058870.

I recommend for you to shoot on HD either the F900 or Varicam because of your budget , i can get some great deals here on equipment and crew.
Wade Muller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion