Apple Ipods shipped with VIRUS in them. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old October 21st, 2006, 03:44 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I have a couple theories. One possibility is that a mac computer had the virus on it, but it didn't effect the OS and most folks on most macs don't run virus protection...so they wouldn't know they had it. So it got passed on having never effected the original computer but messing up the Windows machines it went on ot.

Second theory, even though I've been defending apple...is that they let these through on purpose for another chance to show how the virus can pass through their systems and leave them unaffected, but people on Windows were effected...because after time has gone by all folks will remember is that the Windows machine was vulnerable...even if the virus was placed there.

Paul
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

This is why there possibly is more to all this than meets the eye.

IF the virus came during manufacturing say from the machine that loaded the Ipod software on the units, then the question is how reasonable is it that just a few have the problem
IF the virus came during testing, then the issue is do we have a situation where an external device connected to an Ipod can infact infect it.

Selling a knowingly infected product is not something Apple would do, the US lawyers would have a field day. Not being overly watchful for virus infection based on their own PR, is not out of the question. Reality is that virus attacks come with high volumns, mobile phones and Ipods, and even Apple machines will become targets when ever someone findes them an attractive target. Apple keeps pushing the myth that they are virus free or minimal risk, and that has less to do with technology than small installed base.

Sharyn
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyn Ferrick
Apple keeps pushing the myth that they are virus free or minimal risk, and that has less to do with technology than small installed base.
Sharyn, I'd say it's a combination of both. Yes, the small market means why bother if the payoff isn't going to be that great. But secondly, OSX is simply a pretty face sitting on top of Unix which is inherently more secure than Windows. There are certainly enough Unix machines (most of the internet servers) out there to make a Unix virus just as malicious in terms of folks affected, as there would be with Windows.

I have both platforms in my household so I'm not anti-anyone.

As usual with this type of thread, the jabs at each platform are starting to happen so this thread is going to be locked for now. Chris may choose to re-open it after review. Thanks for everyone's opinion.

-gb-
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion