help exporting to tape(VHS) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 25th, 2002, 12:07 PM   #1
New Boot

help exporting to tape(VHS)

Hi,
I've just started editing using a g4 with Final Cut Pro. I want to get my edited footage onto my VCR without first going through my XL-1. Is there a
good unit with firewire to do this.....or even better a VCR with firewire? Thanks,
Aren.
arenhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are a number of VCR's with IEEE1394 inputs/outputs.

The ones which I have found are all JVC models with a DV deck aswell as S-VHS deck - Model Number:HR-DVS3EK and HR-DVS2.

I just found this VCR which has a 40GB harddrive and S-VHS deck, plus I think it has IEE1394 input/output? - HM-HDS1 - URL: http://www.jvc.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Those VCRs are good. I'll probly get one of the JVCs eventually, but until then I am using my little Canon Elura as a VCR. I take the A/V outputs from this right to the distribution amp into my stack of VHS dubbing decks. Actuallly your first round of dubs can be completed while "printing to tape" (recording from Firewire to the DV recorder). Then the Canon just becomes the source deck for each repeated pass--I do 6 VHS's per pass.
Old January 31st, 2002, 02:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Aren,

I was just starting to think about this, and I realised, because you will be recording onto an anologue tape you won't get the control track like you would going to digital (the deck will not be able to be controlled via a computer). This means that you would have to click your mouse and hit record on the deck in order to go straight to VHS.

I think thats right, is it?!!!

All the best,

Ed
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2002, 03:56 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

Right, Ed. Actually, what I do is set it up in Pause, then just take it off Pause when FCP tells you to start recording. One thing cool about FCP is you can make it loop to fill a tape. Right now I am recording a 1-hour loop of a 6-minute music video..it's the new song by Busta Rhymes and P.Diddy "Pass The Courvoisier" which debuts tomorrow night on MTV and BET. It just does it automatically till the tape end.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion