Scratched Lense at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Scratched Lense

Ok so I scratched the lense to my camera, it's never really noticeable until i start getting some play in the highlights, but still it bothers the crap out of me. is there places that will buff out dings and or scratches? or is the lense caput and I'm SOL?
Christopher Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Major Player

It depends-----on how deep and long the scratch is and how close to the lens center. Is it an expensive still camera or a low-cost camcorder? Give us all the details and you'll get some recommendations about whether it will float or sink, cost-wise. Next time, consider a protective UV filter. You won't find many repair places that do work on lenses, especially not glass-polishing. The usual solution for low and mid-priced equipment is to chuck a damaged lens and install an entire new one. You might talk to an eyeglass maker about special polishing cloths and rubbing compounds, to minimize the scratch yourself. If this lens is coated, that would make this difficult.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm in a similar situation. Fortuantely it's the UV Filter on my Z1.

It has a tiny scratch on it. I have no idea how it got there. I am so careful, to the point of absurdity.

I discovered it because I was watching the footage I shot tonight and saw a weird, out-of-focus dot in the same spot on every single shot and suspected dust.

I took the hood off and the UV Filter off and sure enough, there is a miniscule scratch.

So how am I to know if that scratch is causing the weird out-of-focus dot? Unfortunately, the dot remains prominent and is right in the centre of the screen.

I guess in many ways this proves to me that a UV Filter is a good investment, but I feel like it's going to be more like a regular investment, as I buy new ones for each time I scratch them...
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Polishing isn't going to solve the problem. Modern lenses are coated so that the shallowest scratch is going to take off coating - not glass. If you try to polish the scratch out you will only take of more of the coating which will make the lens performance worse still. The only option is to fill the scratch with something that has the same index of refaction as the surrounding coating. Probably only the manufacturer can do that and no guarantee he can. Deeper scracthes i.e. those that go through multiple layers or down into the glass itself are probably impossible to repair other than by replacement of the scratched element.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion