Framerate conversion with MotionPerfect? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:08 AM   #1
New Boot

Framerate conversion with MotionPerfect?

I want to convert 15fps 8mm footage (which I got frame by frame) into 25fps PAL DVD. Now this is one of the nicer kinds of conversion, since every 4th frame of 15fps coincides exactly with a 25fps frame. Still, I would like to avoid the usual blending method for the other frames.

Has anyone tried to do that with MotionPerfect, or are the results to blurry?
Louis de Stoutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:36 AM   #2
Trustee

I haven't tried MotionPerfect, but it is the same technology as their SlowMotion and I wouldn't call the results blurry. The artifacts can be errors in the judgement of the software due to motion being outside of it's parameters, but blurry is not really something that should happen. I think it should work for you, but you can find out for yourself by downloading the demo software from goodervideo.com. Let us know how it turns out.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #3
New Boot

Sure thing! I didn't actually mean "blurry", but rather "unsharp". I can see a loss of sharpness from original frames to synthesised frames even in the low-res samples on their webpage. The question will be if that can be resharpened w/o too many artefacts appearing, or if the loss of sharpness is more acceptable than the frame-merging. I will keep the group informed.
Louis de Stoutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Trustee

I do remember someone saying that starting with footage that doesn't have much motion blur can help the software. If you do this again, shoot with a fast shutter speed to see if it helps. I hope you don't need to go in to sharpen every interpolated frame. Perhaps you could apply a subtle effect to the whole video that helps the different frame types seem more similar?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion