DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   GL2 or VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/8038-gl2-vx2000.html)

Robert Joyce March 25th, 2003 06:31 PM

GL2 or VX2000

I am wondering which would be better.I shoot rollerblading videos(most of you are familiar with skateboarding videos its the same thing just...rollerblading).I am looking for a clear picture and a nice sound.Which one is heavier or lighter?Which one is smaller?The worst shooting conditions I would be in is rain and dim light.I would also probably be shooting with the century optics .3 super fisheye lense(death lense).And if you can think of any accessories you would think i would need for this please list those too.Thanks in advance

Frank Granovski March 25th, 2003 06:44 PM

Both have strengths and weaknesses, and I like them both, equally. Which one would I pick? I really don't know. However, in terms of resolution, they both are about the same. Audio? I think the GL2 has better audio. Lower lux? I think the VX2000 is a bit lower. If you are going to do a lot of hand-held shots, I'd go with the GL2 because it's very well balanced, thus easy to hold. The best thing to do is try and see both cams in the flesh.

Dylan Couper March 25th, 2003 06:45 PM

I'd get the GL2. Frame mode is cool. Get a rain cover in case of rain. Extra batteries of course.
How can you have a skate...er...rollerblading video WITHOUT the super fisheye??? :)
A portable battery powered light might help you for the late night urban grind sessions.

Robert Joyce March 25th, 2003 07:10 PM

thanks guys

Brian Pink March 25th, 2003 10:32 PM

one thing i didn't like with the gl2 for that type of shooting is that the autofocus is SLOW. if you shoot all manual, then no worries. but try it out before you buy. i went with the pd150.

Bill Pryor March 26th, 2003 10:03 AM

I'd go with the bigger chips of the VX2K.

Robert Joyce May 10th, 2003 08:24 AM

My friend just recently purchased a GL2 and we were shooting at nightime and the picture was terrible does this go the same with the vx because I know the vx has bigger chips

Brendan Getchel May 10th, 2003 07:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Joyce : My friend just recently purchased a GL2 and we were shooting at nightime and the picture was terrible does this go the same with the vx because I know the vx has bigger chips -->>>

Well, shooting at "nightime" and shooting in low(er) light are completely different things. To truly shoot "at nightime" you're going to need something much more than either camera can give you, or an adequate light source in addition to the camera.

For low-light shooting, OTOH, the VX2000 is noticeably superior. This, IMHO, is the only area where the VX has a marked, decided advantage over the GL2. In almost every other situation I prefer using the GL2 over the VX2000 (I have both).

If you know up front that low light is going to constitute a large part of your shooting, then the choice is obvious. If this will not be a large portion of your shooting, or you can readily introduce artificial lighting to mitigate the low light, then the GL2 would be my choice.

If you need good audio, the GL2 is the clear winner there. Need a long lens? The GL2 again. Shoot high contrast subjects? The GL2 again because of the Flourite lens that is better at controlling chromatic aberrations than the VX lens. I also find the IS better on the GL2 than the "Steady Shot" on the VX.

Rick Spilman May 10th, 2003 07:49 PM

The only additional point that I might add is that Sony builds some very rugged cameras. I have abused my PD150 and my VX1000 in a variety of ways that cameras should not be abused and they have held up just fine.

I have never shot with the GL1 so I am not implying that the Canon is not bulletproof, only that from my experience the Sonys are pretty damned close. Might make a difference in difficult shooting conditions.