GL2 or VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 25th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 or VX2000

I am wondering which would be better.I shoot rollerblading videos(most of you are familiar with skateboarding videos its the same thing just...rollerblading).I am looking for a clear picture and a nice sound.Which one is heavier or lighter?Which one is smaller?The worst shooting conditions I would be in is rain and dim light.I would also probably be shooting with the century optics .3 super fisheye lense(death lense).And if you can think of any accessories you would think i would need for this please list those too.Thanks in advance
Robert Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Both have strengths and weaknesses, and I like them both, equally. Which one would I pick? I really don't know. However, in terms of resolution, they both are about the same. Audio? I think the GL2 has better audio. Lower lux? I think the VX2000 is a bit lower. If you are going to do a lot of hand-held shots, I'd go with the GL2 because it's very well balanced, thus easy to hold. The best thing to do is try and see both cams in the flesh.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'd get the GL2. Frame mode is cool. Get a rain cover in case of rain. Extra batteries of course.
How can you have a skate...er...rollerblading video WITHOUT the super fisheye??? :)
A portable battery powered light might help you for the late night urban grind sessions.
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys
Robert Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

one thing i didn't like with the gl2 for that type of shooting is that the autofocus is SLOW. if you shoot all manual, then no worries. but try it out before you buy. i went with the pd150.
Old March 26th, 2003, 10:03 AM   #6
Contributor

I'd go with the bigger chips of the VX2K.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My friend just recently purchased a GL2 and we were shooting at nightime and the picture was terrible does this go the same with the vx because I know the vx has bigger chips
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Joyce : My friend just recently purchased a GL2 and we were shooting at nightime and the picture was terrible does this go the same with the vx because I know the vx has bigger chips -->>>

Well, shooting at "nightime" and shooting in low(er) light are completely different things. To truly shoot "at nightime" you're going to need something much more than either camera can give you, or an adequate light source in addition to the camera.

For low-light shooting, OTOH, the VX2000 is noticeably superior. This, IMHO, is the only area where the VX has a marked, decided advantage over the GL2. In almost every other situation I prefer using the GL2 over the VX2000 (I have both).

If you know up front that low light is going to constitute a large part of your shooting, then the choice is obvious. If this will not be a large portion of your shooting, or you can readily introduce artificial lighting to mitigate the low light, then the GL2 would be my choice.

If you need good audio, the GL2 is the clear winner there. Need a long lens? The GL2 again. Shoot high contrast subjects? The GL2 again because of the Flourite lens that is better at controlling chromatic aberrations than the VX lens. I also find the IS better on the GL2 than the "Steady Shot" on the VX.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #9
Major Player

The only additional point that I might add is that Sony builds some very rugged cameras. I have abused my PD150 and my VX1000 in a variety of ways that cameras should not be abused and they have held up just fine.

I have never shot with the GL1 so I am not implying that the Canon is not bulletproof, only that from my experience the Sonys are pretty damned close. Might make a difference in difficult shooting conditions.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion