Professional Video Bags at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 26th, 2003, 05:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Professional Video Bags

Anyone own a Kata CCC -1, -2, or -10 professional video bag? These are the larger bags that can accomodate a full size camcorder. I can't find any locally where I can compare them. The specs from Kata's catalog is somewhat helpful but is the CCC-1 or CCC-2 really too large? What is the philosophy on carrying gear: the larger the bag the better for all and any future accessories or a bag that is just the right size for the essentials?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Contributor

You want to get one that's designed for your specific camera. Check out Portabrace too. You can search by camera model. They're expensive but last forever, and they seem to have more external pockets and things than some of the others.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a CCC-102 and my GL2 by itself fits perfectly. However, my WD-58 makes it a much more cramped fit.

Sandy
Alexander McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Different bags for different purposes.
If I was running around town all day, I'd want something small that held the basic essentials, and the camera could easily be extracted.
If it was for just carrying gear too and from a shoot, I'd want the biggest bag I could find so I could get all my gear into one.
Old March 27th, 2003, 03:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go for a Kata CCC-1 or CCC-2. I know they have a Portabrace bag for the AG-DVX100 that accomodates a matte box but because I can't find any specifications on it I don't want to buy unless I know it'll fit my gear properly. The bag is to carry gear from shoot to shoot so the extra space should be beneficial.
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #6
Trustee

Petrol carries a line very close to the Kata. I think the quality is better, I know their shoulder straps certainly are.

I own a Porta Brace for my VX2K and wouldn't have anything else

http://www.petrolbags.com/
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #7
Contributor

I've always wondered how those Petrol bags are. They look good in the pictures. I was going to try one out for a new camera a couple of years ago, but the equivalent Portabrace had big pockets on the side for the tripod plate, etc., so I stayed with the old standby.

The person who couldn't find specs...give 'em a call. They're very friendly to talk to.
Old March 27th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

lowe pro

I use a lowe pro commercial aw. they have a newer model with a few tweaks specifically for video cams but I got this model on ebay and it works great. I can carry my gl2, microphone, sony f717 and large flash, batteries, chargers, cords, bounce flash cards, and more. It's a large bag but it let's me carry everything I need for my video and still photography. for faster access and lighter travel I use a canon backpack that also holds the gl2 and my f717 quite nicely.
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm using a Petrol PCCB-2 with my GL2. Fits well and has plenty of room for additional gear. Good case that provides reasonable protection of the gear inside. Only complaint is the velcro handle that wraps around the straps is wearing out fast.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #10
Contributor

I hadn't thought about the handles as a wear point. The Portabrace's all have leather handles and straps, so I guess that might be a consideration.

Speaking of bags, I've got a set of Altman fresnels consisting of two 300's and two 650's with stands and scrim set. They are the same size as the equivalent Arri's, but maybe a little heavier. The shipping case, on wheels, is taller and heavier than the Arri case, and when I put it in the back of my small SUV, it takes up most of the space. Plus, it's difficult for one person to pick it up and load it.

So, I had been looking for a Portabrace type bag to put the lights in, and just last week I ran across a new one, it's the WRB, for Wheeled Run Bag. It's 39" long and one foot by one foot and best of all it has wheels. The 4 Altman fresnels fit inside almost like it was designed for them, and the stands fit into the side pockets. I had planned on carrying the stands in a separate small tripod bag, so it was a nice surprise that they fit in the side pockets. Obviously you wouldn't ship this on a plane, but for around town use, it's great.

I also use a Portabrace projector case for 3 Lowel DP lights, and another smaller cargo case for 2 DP's and an Omni. Then I keep stands in cheapo tribod cases. I hate hauling around big shipping cases that come with the lights.

There's a company called Lightware that makes some big long padded bags good for lights and stands.
Old March 27th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the links! I'm leaning toward the U-bags from Petrol that fit full-size camcorders now. The 11" width is what catches my eye, which is the widest point of my matte box (the french flag). May be able to place the whole setup in the bag without taking parts off...

Lightware's website is www.lightwareinc.com

Some nice carrying gear there but they do come at a price. Have to remember that about the lighting kits, thanks.
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #12
Wrangler

Christopher, which of the U bags specificaly were you looking at. I saw one that was 11" wide in the middle, but narrower at the ends. Do you have a price on these bags?
Old March 29th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #13
Major Player

Hey Dylan,

I was thinking about getting the PCUB-3 Petrol bag. Do you think that its only 11 inches in the middle? That could be a problem... Guess I have to find out by making a few phone calls. I don't know but I'm not terribly excited to drop close to $300 for a bag - funny though because my girlfriend had a great laugh about it, saying she finally gets her revenge for when I make fun of her brand name bag purchases, which are easily $300 and then some
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #14
Wrangler

Christopher, that bag is listed as 6"-11". I'd wager the 11" is in the viewfinder section. Better call them to find out.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Been almost a week since I've emailed around and no answer from some of the vendors. I remember reading some time ago that some people were very happy with bags purchased from hardware stores. If I go this route - and I might considering the fact that I'll be able to measure in person for myself - which bags do people recommend and from which hardware stores? Thanks for all the help.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion