Short Film Production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Short Film Production

Okay...I'm sure this question has no sure-fire answer that everyone will agree on but, here goes.

I am Short Film Maker interested in doing a project that will need a little money backing it, (Other than the Family casted films I've done so far with my 1-Chip, MiniDV camera.). I've written a very good screenplay and I'm very proud of what people have said about it (the few I've let view my work). Now I'm the process of budgeting and getting someone to sponsor it. I have a professional SD camera, but something is telling me i need to shoot on HD...I'm not to exited about shooting on 35mm, because developing that film will be a major hassle.

With All that said, Are any of you all out there or anyone you know (Preferably living in Atlanta, but not a MUST) interested in funding a short film project?

I'm trying to set up as many meeting as possible to get this thing off the ground...means allot to me

Thanks.
G. Hayes
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Since this is your first film, chances are no-one is going to sponsor you. The fastest way to pay for it is probably to get a job on the side.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Some different ideas:

A- Enter your screenplay into screenplay competitions. Some have cash awards and/or give you resources towards getting your screenplay completed. Winning a competition would also help you get other financing.

B- Do you *need* slick production values? Reality TV, shows like Jackass, etc. are examples of wildly popular shows that don't have very slick production values. It may be that you can shoot your film for very little money and still get your ideas/content across effectively. To finance your film, you could use a little bit of your own money. This may be "cheaper" than finding financing, since working a job may take less time.

If you are doing something like this, you may be able to get very good deals out of rental companies + other deals.

You can also play 'location lemonade', to set your film in a way that (A) works [better] creatively and (B) makes the film cheap to produce well. i.e. pick locations that look good on camera without additional lighting, locations that are easy to light, locations that are free, etc.

C- Some people may be looking for a good screenplay; perhaps they want to shoot their own film, but don't have a good story.
If your goal is to become a screenwriter, check out wordplayer.com for advice.

D- There may be grants available for certain things. The government may have grants for specific goals. In Canada, there are grants for independent films (although I don't think the US does this).

E- Businesses might sponsor you. Some business have money set aside for sponsorship (i.e. you know that they sponsor soccer teams and such). You have to figure out what you offer to the sponsoring business, and whether it's worth your time looking for it (it may or may not be worth it given your project, your experience, and your salesmanship).

Quote:
I've written a very good screenplay and I'm very proud of what people have said about it (the few I've let view my work)
You may want to register your script with the WGA if you're concerned about plagiarism. http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp...is.Column.html
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Glen...that was some very helpful information. Although i *can* write...i'd much rather be a Director rather than a screenwriter. I have a few companies in mind...(being that thier brand or store could be used in the film and they could be put into the credits or what have you). The reason i'm doing this short is because i want to make a Feature from the same story...and i'm sure noone would sink 5Million into a first timer...

Thanks Again.

G. Hayes

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion