whats the difference between NTSC & Pal model cameras? yes a newbie question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 13th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #1
New Boot

whats the difference between NTSC & Pal model cameras? yes a newbie question

Hi there just wondering i am off overseas shortly and will be using a HDV camera NTSC format whilst over there i live in Aussie where our set up is pal format. i was wondering what will be the difference with the NTSC camera when it home and obviously use out here and anything i should know about using an NTSC cameras out here compared to normal Pal e.g. filming with it , editing etc ?. The camera in question is the SONY HVR-A1U. Any help or advice is appreciated thanks
Nic Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Nic this should help you.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...sc-and-pal.htm

If you are filmming overseas with the intent to return home to Australia to view/distribute the footage I have to ask why you have chosen to shoot with an NTSC camera ? it seems more sensible to shoot in the format of where you intend to use the footage (i.e PAL).

However If you intend to send the footage overseas to a country with the NTSC format once you are finnished editing i can see the point.

Regarding your other question about editing it, you should have no problems there. Living in PAL land myself I have many options in final cut pro to edit NTSC footage as is the case with all the other NLE software.

Andy.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Make sure your battery charger and your direct power to camera will handle the voltage. Its easier to get an adaptor for another country in your own country.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Chris will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Colin Swanson
Make sure your battery charger and your direct power to camera will handle the voltage. Its easier to get an adaptor for another country in your own country.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Don't forget that PAL cameras drive on the left side of the road and NTSC cameras should only go on the right side of the road.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Andy thanks for the reply so basically all i want to know is can i still continue to use this NTSC camera out here and still produce normal DVDs to watch out here on our normal TV's or do i have to edit it differently. Sorry if these sound dumb but all i really want to know is can i still use out here as i would a normal pal camera and still edit the footage on dvd as normal if not is there anything i should be doing to compensate. I am a newbie who stills uses Pinnacle Studio 10 plus, Sony 7, most Ulead products etc. I will be purchasing
Final Cut Pro next year. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham
Nic this should help you.

[url]http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-ntsc-and-pal.htm[/url

If you are filmming overseas with the intent to return home to Australia to view/distribute the footage I have to ask why you have chosen to shoot with an NTSC camera ? it seems more sensible to shoot in the format of where you intend to use the footage (i.e PAL).

However If you intend to send the footage overseas to a country with the NTSC format once you are finnished editing i can see the point.

Regarding your other question about editing it, you should have no problems there. Living in PAL land myself I have many options in final cut pro to edit NTSC footage as is the case with all the other NLE software.

Andy.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #7
New Boot

LOL boom boom thanks Marcus. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
Don't forget that PAL cameras drive on the left side of the road and NTSC cameras should only go on the right side of the road.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Colin Swanson
What do you mean handle the voltage? a camera has a specific voltage requirment. You need the correct type of battery that operates the camera, all cameras come with at least one type of battery as standard. Do you mean "don't force a simmilar battery in the same port" ? i agree in that case.

The imagery of what Marcus says is correct, we are that diffirent

As for getting an "adaptor" why would you want one?. If you are shooting for PAL land you shoot PAL, if you are shooting for NTSC land you shoot NTSC.

Andy.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
As for getting an "adaptor" why would you want one?. If you are shooting for PAL land you shoot PAL, if you are shooting for NTSC land you shoot NTSC.
He's talking about an adaptor so that he can plug the power supply or charger into an electrical outlet. Electrical outlet styles and voltage vary from country to country.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Maguire
Hi Andy thanks for the reply so basically all i want to know is can i still continue to use this NTSC camera out here and still produce normal DVDs to watch out here on our normal TV's or do i have to edit it differently.
I see what jeff means . Nic i suppose you can use the camera and go through the NTSC conversion to PAL but why would you want to when you could use a PAL camera and dodge the problem alltogether?
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Wrangler

Most modern electronic gear, like camcorders and computers, use power supplies which automatically adapt to any voltage you're likely to encounter. For example, my Z1 power supply is rated for 100-240 volts AC at 50 or 60 cycles. Be certain to check the specs of your equipment, but I don't think you will have any problems there. I used my US Powerbook, external hard drives and Z1 in Argentina with 50 cycle 240 volts with no problems.

All you will probably need are adaptors to allow your plug to fit the correct style outlet, and not any kind of transformer to change the voltage. Here in the US these are easy to find for less than $10 at Radio Shack as well as most "big box" stores which sell computers and electronics gadgets.

Now NTSC/PAL conversion is another matter. I realize it's more expensive, but you might consider the HVR-Z1 instead because it can switch between PAL (50i) and NTSC (60i) modes for both standard and high definition use. It will not, however, convert between PAL and NTSC - you have to choose one or the other.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
you have to choose one or the other.
True, pick what is best for your needs
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

One more thing to note, please keep in mind that PAL transfers better to NTSC than the other way around. When you're converting NTSC footage to PAL you're actually losing resolution due to the difference in lines per frame between the two standards.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Higher end software will let you choose how to output your input. If you have an NTSC camera in PAL land it works the same of course where ever you are. Your software can convert it if you have to (well mine does). Most PAL DVD players will play NTSC but the reverse isn't true. NTSC looses alot of the shadows of the blacks. NTSC requires like 7 IRE or about 7% black minimum where as PAL has a IRE or ground of 0 black. After being in PAL land I hate watching tv in NTSC land because I see the washed out black.
If you have the camera and its NTSC thats fine for you. If your audience needs the quality of PAL its not fine.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion