24p DV screen projection related question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Major Player

24p DV screen projection related question

We shot a short with a couple Canon XL2s in 24P advanced mode (2:3:3:2 pulldown). It was edited in a 24p timeline. Up to that point no problem.

But the thing is, this is going to be screened at a couple local festivals and they are asking either Betacam or MiniDV copies for that purpose. Both formats don't support 24p playback, so I'll have to add a pulldown to comply with the NTSC standard. But although 24p footage with a 3:2 pulldown looks fine on a NTSC monitor / TV, I'm not sure how it will look on a projection screen.

Because if it looks anything like a computer screen, the interlacing artifacts (combing effect) introduced by the pulldown will be very noticeable. It is pretty noticeable on a small computer screen, can't imagine it getting any better on a big screen. Or does a projector work like a regular NTSC TV (odd and even line scanning)?

I'm wondering what processing if any I should pass my 24p footage through in order to make it look good when projected. 2:3:3:2 pulldown? 3:2 pulldown? With/without de-interlacing? Just making sure before sending the master out for copies.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Major Player

The interlacing isn't your problem:
Most projectors have pretty good built-in deinterlacers.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Major Player

So you're saying I should just add a standard 3:2 pulldown and it will look fine when projected?
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion