best portable camcorder (pocket size) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

best portable camcorder (pocket size)

The video from this camcorder would be used mainly to go up on youtube and myspace. i need for it to be able to fit in my pocket and have for its on board mic to get the job done as best as possible for an on board mic. 99% of the footage from this camera would be shot in doors, privately (no crazy crowds in the background making a bunch of noise).

would love it if you guys could give me some suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon HV10 but everyone seems to hate the mic on this thing. all the footage i've seen with the HV10 didn't include audio, so I'm not really sure if its as bad as everyone says it is. are there any camcorders out there comparable to the HV10 with a better built in mic?
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't have any personal experience with this cam, but from what I've read about it I believe that the main problem is the placement of the mic and the lack of an audio input. If I was going for a minimalist kit with this as my main cam, I'd use a separate audio recorder with a small shotgun (the Rode VideoMic comes to mind) and do a hand clap before each take.

I'm sure that there is a bracket that you could even connect to the camera that would hold the mic and the recorder. Not sure if this particular one would work for you, but here's a B&H link...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I'd use the top shoe for the mic and the side for the recorder. That's just my thoughts, but if someone has real world experience with a setup like this, please feel free to correct me.
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i would prefer if i didn't have to get anything extra. not being cheap, just don't want to carry any extra stuff around. doesn't have to be the best audio, just the best for this type of camera.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

at the very least you're going to have to get some type of handle for the Canon HV10. Otherwise handling noise is going to kill your audio. The mic is right above where you would hold onto the cam. It would either be this or go for another cam. In my opinion those are the options.

Just out of curiosity... If you're mainly shooting to post on youtube and other sites like it, why go HD to begin with? Won't you have to downconvert and compress your video before you upload it anyway? No offense intended, I just thought that those types of sites only supported compressed SD, not HD. I haven't looked so I could be wrong. Please correct me if I am...
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

doesn't have to be the HV10. just something around that size. I'm open to suggestions. just looking for the best point-and-shooter out there.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #6
Major Player

I'd go for either one of those flash memory camcorders, or a low end Canon ZR series.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
I'd go for either one of those flash memory camcorders, or a low end Canon ZR series.
What are some of the flash based camcorders, not really familiar with those. ZR camcorders are small but not exactly pocket size.
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion