Misc. Open DV from 2007 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #31
Regular Crew

QT to SWF

Can someone help me on this. In FCPHD l have completed a project and now need to convert to QT movie which will then be put into Flash. Should l make QT movie 720x240 at a high Res? Or is there a format for putting QT movies into flash for good quality.

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #32
Major Player

Anyone from Milwaukee? (OT)

I am specifically looking for someone near Wauwatosa. The story goes like so. My girlfriend lives in Taiwan. I live in RI. I see her maybe twice a year if we`re lucky enough. I`ll be going to see her next month if all goes according to plan...she won`t know I`m going. So there is this dress I`ve been trying to get for her from Forever 21. I got a medium from the site, come to find its too small. I go to get a large instead, but its no longer on the site. Once its off the site they never make it again. I called a local store, they had like 10 in stock according to the computer (varied sizes) but when I went there (after I was told one would be held) they had none in stock at all. Must be a computer glitch they say. So he looks up stores around the country, one being Gadzooks in the Mayfield Mall in Wauwatosa, WI. They have the dress in stock, on hold for me since last thursday, waiting for me to find someone to pick it up because they don't ship by rule. I want that dress for her and I need help picking it up and having it sent to me. If anyone knows someone that wants to make $10 for their troubles and help a guy whose desperate out, please, let me know. Thanks so much.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #33
Major Player

Battery choices for A1

hey everyone - I'm about to buy my XH A1 and was wondering what a good choice for a battery would be. I've looked at the Anton Bauer ElipZ Battery Package and was wondering your thoughts. On B&H there is an A1 with the package for $3,799.95. I figured this might be a good deal because I will need a good long lasting battery if I am going to be in the field shooting for an unknown period of time.

Thank you!
-Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Previsualisation Software

The only package I've found is Antics http://antics.jhadmin.net/default.as...n=140&page=518.

Does anyone use this? Have you any feedback?

Or any recommendations for other similar software?
Jon Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:43 AM   #35
Regular Crew

What equipment should I get?

Hi guys,

I will be shooting some documentary stuff in the desert/forest areas can anyone recommend a light kit, a tripod, and I am assuming I would need some kind of battery generator? Not looking for the absolute best/most expensive but good quality at a descent price.

Thank You
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:02 AM   #36
New Boot

From DV to HDV

Howdy!

Since this is also my first post, I'd like to say hello to everybody on here. I'm a student, doing a masters course in Economics and have been living in Poland for 12 years now. In my spare time, I connect two of my hobbies which are bicycle trials and video making. The result of this are 3-10 minute internet videos of people riding trials. Since the trials scene is very small, I have never thought about releasing DVD's or going "big" with production. So far I have been using various 3-chip cameras (VX-2100, HC1000E, and in the past an industrial U-Matic 3CCD Sony camera - I tell you, that was fun to use!) but have thought that it would be interesting to check out an HDV camcorder.

Since I don't want to spend much, I have decided to go for an HV20 - seeing as it has various features that are of use to me, especially an AV input which was the main reason I decided against the HDR-HC7.

Now before I start asking questions, I'd like to explain something. For the past 6 years that I have been editing DV footage, I learned everything by trial and error. I know absolutely no theory behind DV and HDV editing. I just know what works and what doesn't, unfortunately that's only the case with DV - and hence this topic. I'm sure you therefore understand what my problem is - 3/4 of the information on this website is just impossible for me to follow.

For a start, I have read through many topics on here about how fast a PC should be for editing HDV. Obviously making short 3 minute sports videos is closer to making a music video than to releasing a DVD from a wedding - so it will require a faster pc. I can't really spend too much time waiting for various effects to render, else editing a 3 minute video will take me many days and will no longer be fun. My current spec is an A64 3500+, 3gb of ram and a 8600GT card with PureVideo support. It's great for editing DV - I'm therefore looking for a PC that will perform similarily with HDV. I was thinking about upgrading to a Q6600 - can Premiere 2.0 utilize all 4 cores at once? Do you think that such a processor will give me the possibility to edit HDV footage fairly quickly?

My second question concerns compression and de-interlacing. I have downloaded quite a few m2t files from a German website which did a side-by-side comparison of the HC7 and HV20. This was my first attempt at editing HDV, and it turns out it's not as simple as DV. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the video deinterlaced using Adobe Media Encoder, no matter what settings I tried. Could somebody explain why this is? If you require more information about the settings I used, please ask.

And finally, the Canon can shoot in 25p. There is no such project setting in Premiere 2.0, even in the custom tab. Do I therefore use a 50i project?

edit: The Canon has a 43mm conversion lens mount - the best lens I can afford is an 0.5x Raynox HD-5005, but that has a 37mm mount and an 37->43mm adapter. Will I not get a black ring around the video with a 37mm lens?

Thank you very much in advance, and sorry for my English, I'm terrible at writing long things.

Last edited by Alex Zoltowski; July 1st, 2007 at 06:09 AM. Reason: (forgot 1 thing)
Alex Zoltowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM   #37
Major Player

Decklink High Definition

Can a Decklink HD card from blackmagic:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/

be used to live switch at events similar to the black magic intensity.

If it can... Can 3 cameras be hooked up to 2 card? SO that you can do live switching?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM   #38
Major Player

Best tape and head cleaner choices?

I was told to only use one brand of tape so I went with Sony, but now I am curious of the difference between tapes. I am shooting an XHA1 and HV20 as a back up on occasion. I have purchased Sony HDV 63min tapes as my mainstay and for less important things that are likely to just be thrown out, Scouting footage or random stuff not intended for use) I bought some Sony Premium 60min DV tapes.

I also see Sony Excellence series tapes what is the major difference between Premium, excellence and HDV tapes? Other than a price increase from roughly 7-10-15 dollars at full retail individual prices.

Also I am assuming I should use a Sony Head Cleaner as well, Is this accuarate or are there better ones I should consider?

Thanks for any info.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #39
Major Player

Advice for hard discs

Hi,
I was going to buy another hard disc, but then I thought, "Wait, why not think this through thouroghly first? I should I spend my money and configure the system so that it is most effective, safe, fast, futureproof and moneysaving?"
So instead of just buying another USB HDD I started researching in this area.
But there is more I have to know... So I am asking for your advice when setting up new hard discs. I would like:
a) Reasonably future proof (want to edit HDV in a near future)
b) Maximum speed for rendering and output
c) Reasonably safe, especially for the OS, programs and "access files" like current still images library, favourites etc.

I currently have one 120 IDE internal system disc and two USB 280 GB discs. I ended up buying one SATA 400GB disc. But in a near future I hope to afford more discs.

How would you recommend me to set up a hard disc system? (or how is your system configured?) Is it necessary to use RAID-0 for HDV editing? How do you do your backups? With RAID-1 or manually backupping?
Thanks!
(run Core2Duo 6600, 2GB currently)
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Wireless transmitters for live XL1s?

We're talking about going wireless, so our camera guys can roam the church to get better angles, but I don't know what these transmitters are called. We need to use the s-video out...I found the X10 and a few on eBay, but nothing portable/battery powered...
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #41
Inner Circle

progressive - interlaced project setting premiere pro

I read about it in a recent thread but still wasn't sure about so here it comes:
I plan to shoot outdoor with my dvx100 in progressive and squeezed mode. The indoor shots will be done with a sony vx2100 which is then interlaced and letterboxed.

What are the best projectsetting to use in premiere pro if the final output is for a widescreen tv?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #42
Tourist

Ghostly Blue Effect - How best to do it?

For an effect I'm considering for an upcoming 48 hour film festival, I'm trying to figure out how best to accomplish bathing some characters in an ethereal blue light. Sort of like the ghosts of the dead jedi in the Star Wars films, but without the transparent look. The scenes will all be outdoors in a desert environment, and including both closeups (easy to do with lighting and gels) and shots of characters far in the distance walking across the screen (much tougher with conventional lighting). I don't own any special effects software, though I may bite the bullet and get AE if its easy to do this sort of thing with the program, without using a matte (I don't have any matte experiance and probably won't have time to figure it out before the project begins). If there's any cheaper or shareware software out there that could help me do a simple effect like this I'd prefer that, I'm on a budget. (Aren't we all?)

How would you get those distant shots on a 48-hour deadline of ghostly figures walking across a lonely desert plain? Special Effects/compositing or conventional lighting?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Brandon
Brandon Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #43
Major Player

The Real Story about PremierePro2 and HDV/HD

Hello Everyone.

It seams that everyone is going HD. I have only been editing SD, so I have a lot of catching up to do, so thanks for indulging my newbie questions.

Just what can PPro2 edit without any plugins?

I am considering a CanonXL HD, can I edit the HD files in PPro2?

It seems that all of these cameras have their own proprietary file format, which are most universal, and which can PPro2 edit out of the box?

If we can't get there from here, what plugins would work for the Canon?

Will AXIO be able to handle the Canon files without any additional plugins?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #44
Tourist

XL2 and streaming

I have been trying to use my xl2 and a streaming video codec to produce live video presentaions. The camera works great but the audio will not sync. Does anyone have any views on how to sync the video and audio over a the internet in this type of application.
Gordon Belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #45
Tourist

Teleconferencing Edits

I'm working on a project, editing it. The director lives 600 miles away. When ADR begins, I will need to stream the video and live audio across the internet. Any ways to use the GS500 to recieve DV footage as an external monitor, and then spit it back out at the same time to a video chat service? Thanks.
Peter Srinivasan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion