new and old camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #1
New Boot

new and old camera

I have a new canon_A1 and a canon_xl1s. I am shooting a 1 hour music class event in an auditorium with presentation made from the stage. It will require that I use 2 cameras. The xl1s will be used to shoot a continuous overall shot from audience POV, and I will use the A1 to shoot details. The end product will be an equal mix of footage delivered on a DVD. Would dumbing down the A1 to 4:3 be my best and easiest solution for dealing with the two types of cameras? 16:9 would help with the subject matter, but it would not be worth it if it creates too much extra post hassle (anamorph the digital xl1s 16:9 in FCP).

Thank you for the help, I'm a noob.

mateo
Mateo Leybab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Here's an idea: Shoot your wide shot with the HDV camera then you can crop or downscale your image as necessary. You can make it look like someone is operating that camera by using your editing software to zoom in to the best parts of the image when necessary. This is an idea from the wedding and events forum. I don't remember the thread, but someone has been doing this with their camera placed up in the balcony of the church during a wedding.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Marcus. The HDV camera will produce at least twice the resolution the SD camera can achieve. I wouldn't want to compare the SD 16x9 stretched video to HD native 16x9 (although a test is definitely necessary to make the final judgement). If at all possible, I would choose frame mode vs normal (again, test).

Bottom line, what is your intended output? (I know you said DVD). Choose appropriately.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion