Cheap camera for VCR, ok to mix tape stock? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheap camera for VCR, ok to mix tape stock?

I want to buy a cheap camera to use as a VCR. However, depending on the situation I may be using a Panasonic DVX, Sony PD-150, or Cannon GL-2. My question is how important is it for it to be the same brand as the higher end model one uses?

I would like to find a cheap camera to use as a vcr, that would be able to mix tape stocks from those different companies without a problem. Recommendations are welcome.

Thank You
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Brand of camera and playback/record deck are irrelevant. However, like with a camcorder, you should run a head cleaner in your MiniDV VCR when changing to a different tape formulation. Check the used market for camcorders to use as a VCR. You can find old, functioning ones for around $100, maybe less. I use my old Panasonic PV-DV100 as a VCR for capture and record with my Premiere Pro computer. After three returns for warranty repairs, the optics are toast, but the VCR functionality works fine. That camera is a 2000 or 2001 model.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I recommend what I use, a JVC GR-D90. The CCDs go out all the time, so they are useless as regular cams, but the heads last forever, they can play back 30p, and they have a 3.5" screen. I used to have a bunch (that I sold on here) and I would get about $60 for each, including power adapter. You could probably find them on ebay for the same or less. Another bonus is that they have analog input, like for capturing a VHS VCR tape onto miniDV or into the PC.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion