DVD-VHS Recorders - Suggestions Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Tourist

DVD-VHS Recorders - Suggestions Needed

Good day all -

I have a need to purchase a standalone DVD recorder where I can transfer old format tapes directly to DVD. Primarily 8mm and VHS. I have many clients wanting this service but I can't justify nor afford presently a Pro model costing several thousand dollars or more.

Researching this subject on the web I find many many models to choose from, and most I see get mixed reviews. I have not found one yet that had all positive reviews so i am hesitant to just buy one blindly.

Can anyone out here recomend a good product? I'm at a loss and really need some guidance.

Thanks very much!

Ross Warren
Vermont
Ross Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Personally I have owned a Pioneer and now an LG. Sorry I don't have the model numbers here at work. The Pioneer was bought at Sam's Club and the DVD crapped out on me in a little over a year. I was very disappointed. So far the LG is doing well.
At work I have been using Sony RDR-VX530. In fact I have 5 of them installed in our Sports Arena control room to do recording. They are working fine so far. Good luck.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've been using a Toshiba D-VKR3SU for about a year with no hiccups whatever - it'll copy either direction with 1 button or you can use either side independently with external inputs - inputs are only composite, outputs are composite, component and S-video.

Another way to go is separate units, which I do with "shaky" tapes - this is more expensive but gives much better results with old, noisy tapes. For that I use the Toshiba for the DVD burner, but feed it with a JVC editing VHS deck HR-S9900U (about $350 I think) then into a Canopus ADVC300 ($550) and into the Toshiba (think it was about $350 when I bought it)

The advantage to the second way is that the JVC is a more stable tape transport with more options, the ADVC300 has video noise reduction and other controls to tweak color, levels, etc, and with a decent VHS tape it's difficult to tell the difference between the finished DVD and a commercial DVD on playback. (Except for the menu's, etc, which you could only duplicate with software such as Vegas/DVD Architect, FCP, etc.

Of course the disadvantage of the second way is cost; depends on whether your customers are willing to pay extra for "special processing" to get a better quality DVD or not...

As to 8m stuff, you may have to find an older camcorder (I'd look at the Sony D8 series, they can play 8mm AND digital 8)

HTH... Steve

(Oh, and none of these will copy commercially made tapes for the most part, because of the Macrovision encoding - the machine just tells you it can't do that because the tape is copy protected)
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

[QUOTE= Can anyone out here recomend a good product? I'm at a loss and really need some guidance.Ross Warren Vermont[/QUOTE]

I have a Panasonic DMR-T2020 DVD video recorder and the professional (very expensive) Pioneer PVR-LX1. All of the later model Panasonic models are probably very similar. Most of my transfers are from the Panasonic. It is very reliable and has worked perfectly all the years I have been using it. I highly recommend the Panasonic stand alone models.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #5
New Boot

Dvd / Vhs Combo

I can't say what might be best, however, I've been using the JVC HR 59500U with the Panasonic DMR E50. Both have given excellent service, not a single problem. I very happy with the stability and video quality in either direction.
Bob Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

DVD/VHS combo

We have been using the JVC DR-MV5SU for over a year without issues, and just purchased a JVC DR-MV7SU (next model up) about three months ago and it is also working well. They both record to the -R flavor DVD's.

We've been slowly converting all our legacy 3/4", VHS and 8mm/Hi-8 mm videotapes over to DVD as we have time. I've been very happy with image quality and ease of use. We use the DV input from the GV-D200 digital 8mm to move most of the 8mm videos. VHS to DVD dub with one touch record, and 3/4" through a TBC and mix board straight into the DVD recorder.

Hope this helps. Oh yeah before I forget, we bought these through low bid, so this isn't an indorsement for the JVC, but they have been doing the work without problem.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Ross,

I've been using the JVC DR-MV1S unit (DVD/VHS Recorder) now since shortly after they came out. It has done excelent work for me.

As is Will, I've been transferring all my VHS tapes from some 25 yrs of material.

Today, I would look at the JVC's, Panasonics, Sony's and LGs. Check sites for reviews on them, and be sure to get one of the new models with the new Digital Tuners.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion