Green Screen construction...A couple quick Q's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Green Screen construction...A couple quick Q's

Hey guys, Im a very amateur filmmaker, and I'm looking into getting a green screen.

I'm planning on going with fabric, as fabric can be transported and stored a bit easier. The problem is I'm going to be shooting a car infront of this green screen, which means that this is going to have to be able to be outside. (I dont have access to a warehouse or big garage unfortunatly.)

Im looking at getting the screen with dimmensions of 10' tall, by 24' long... I'm assuming this will be a good amount for shooting the car, assuming the car is 7-8 feet away from the screen.

I'm planning on ordering through RoseBrand fabric, and getting them to custom sew this for me... I believe the fabric is called celtic cloth? My worries are if this fabric is folded when stored, will I be able to iron out any creases that formed?

Now heres the tricky part, I need to construct a frame for this, that is relatively colapsable so it can be stored. Also I have a quick question on lighting. For the lighting on the screen, will regular powerful worklights work? I dont have access to expensive professional lighting. I dont want to spend more than 500$ on this (exclude the lighting), and I'm assuming the green screen will take up most of that.

Regardless, any tips, tricks...etc is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading that long post :)

Simon Jones

Last edited by Simon Jones; April 6th, 2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: error
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Know why you hardly ever seen big outdoor backdrops outside of Hollywood?

A huge fabric screen like you envision makes an absolutely KILLER sail.

In Hollywood they're more offen used inside large building and taken outside ONLY when conditions are right. And even then, they're typicaly used with rigging that will cost way more than your $500 budget.

Unless of course you don't mind an errant gust of wind sending your insurance agent spiraling into a heart attack! :)

Lighting a car is also VERY complicated to do well.

Cars are typically SHINY. Even if you manage to pull the key, how are you going to feel about the reflections of the camera and crew showing up all over the car surface?

Notice even in the local car lot ads, the cars are typically shot at weird angles and/or shot in ways that minimize reflections.

In pro car shots look at the reflection of the lights in the body of the shiny car. You'll typically see softboxes BIGGER than the car itself.

Shooting cars well is VERY difficult. Keying them adds a whole new layer of complexity.

But don't let that stop you. Try for yourself then let us know how it works out and how you solve the problems you find. That will greatly benefit everyone here.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ya, the wind is what I was worried about... I made a couple of drawings and such, and I think I know a way to minimize the wind problem. (Planned on using braces, and weights... Possibly ghetto-rigged rope sytem as well.

Also, this film that I am doing is primarily inside the cars, maybe a few outside shots... Fortunatly both of the cars we are using are so old the paint isnt shiny anymore :D

This isnt a professional film either mind you, its a bunch of friends that enjoy being in films, and I enjoy directing/editing them... Im only a senior in high school, so I'm not too worried about the critics :)

Anyways, do you have any tips if I were to try this?

Would worklights on the backdrop work to minimize the cars shadow?

whatever, I need to do some more research on this...

Thank you for the reply, I didnt even think of the car reflection...

Simon
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Trustee

Simon,

Regarding ironing and wrinkles. I have a 10' x 10' cloth green screen and keep it folded whenever not in use. I use a spray bottle full of (soft) water and just spray along creases and bad areas, once dried, it looks pretty decent.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Trustee

[QUOTE=Simon Jones;655455]Ya, the wind is what I was worried about... I made a couple of drawings and such, and I think I know a way to minimize the wind problem. (Planned on using braces, and weights... Possibly ghetto-rigged rope sytem as well.

Also, this film that I am doing is primarily inside the cars, maybe a few outside shots... Fortunatly both of the cars we are using are so old the paint isnt shiny anymore :D

This isnt a professional film either mind you, its a bunch of friends that enjoy being in films, and I enjoy directing/editing them... Im only a senior in high school, so I'm not too worried about the critics :)

Cool.

If that's your intent, just have at it and have a ball.

Car interiors are a bit of a challenge to light. There's typically little room to rig lights and lighting the interior via the lights outside the exterior windows often cast unpleasent shadows from the door pillers, etc.

Maybe try using some of those cheap "hang on a hook single bulb shop lights" they sell at the home centers. At least they're small enough to position on a dash, or tape to the ceiling and with some difussion and possibly an inexpensive dimmer, you can get somewhat controllable fill light inside the vehical to light up your talent.

Like I said. Have FUN! and go for it.

You're lucky to have found something so interesting to work on and enjoy.

Good Luck and let us know if there are other ways we can help.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion