Sony U matic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Sony U matic?

Hello all- I just found a place that is GIVING away Sony Umatic players and recorders. My question is, what use are they? Is Umatic still being used? Thanks
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Warden

Giving away is good. What model numbers? If they #2850's and 2860's they are good for boat anchors. If they are BVU's you got something worth a little. The 5000 and 7000 series are worth very little. The 800 and 900 series (BVU) are still used in many facilities today.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Jeff- They are VP-7020 , and if you're interested, I'll post the place for you. The page say that they are "In servicable condition- the heads were checked before putting them in storage".

The reason I asked about them, is that I'm not familiar with Umatic. I assume that it is, or was, a high end format like digibeta and 3/4?
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Umatic is 3/4"

Fond memories of the BVU-110 so-called "portable" deck; about sixty pounds or so it felt, we had them at UT-Austin when I was in school. As undergrads we were privvy only to the very short six-foot cam-to-deck cables, try following your camera operator with a 110 slung around you on such a short leash without running him over. The graduate students rated the much more leisurely twenty-footers. Those were the days...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5
Warden

U-Matic and 3/4 are the same thing in the early to mid 80's U-Matic SP was brought out (higher band width) and remains in use today. The 7000 series is regular 3/4 to the best of my memory. Not interested, but thanks for offering and posting the info.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Thanks for filling me in on the older equipment. If it isn't DV, it's before my time or over my head...
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey!
I'm interested in the U-Matic decks. I have a lot of old legacy footage.

Richard
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

Richard- Here is the place
http://broadcast-usa.com/miami/
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #9
Contributor

We had to get a 3/4" dub made a year or so ago for some TV station in a little town out in central Kansas, so some decks are still in use. Most dub houses still have at least one 3/4" deck, and I know of one large post house whose big agency clients still have 3/4" players. There are some things in the world that really should go away but don't.
Chris...my memories are of carrying the 110, plus a 3-tube camera with a battery that weighed as much as a DSR250, and an O'Connor 50 tripod, by myself, up and down hills, shooting exteriors and interiors at industrial locations all over the country. I had back surgery about 10 years ago.

If I did the same kind of shooting today, I could get better results with a PD150 with all the batteries and tapes I'd need for a week in one little Portabrace bag. I used to carry around a 24" X 36" case full of 3/4" tapes, enough of those 20 minute suckers for 3 or 4 days. Excess baggage charges on every flight I took then would have paid for my tape stock for a year these days. The good ol' days...weren't.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #10
Wrangler

I hear you guys. There's precious little to reminisce about fondly when it comes to video technology. For me, starting with the 1/2 black and white Sony Portapaks, through the 2-piece VHS consumer and industrial setups and up to a BVU-110 3/4" recorder banging around your waist, the two piece systems were inferior in every way to today's DV gear--especially ergonomically! And think about the difficulties of shooting with tubes versus chips--those who came into this with the DV wave, imagine having to worry about pointing your camera at a bright light or glint and permanently burning the tubes (requiring hours of "burning out" if you were lucky, or expensive service if you weren't). I left a camera on the ground for 5 minutes once, not realizing it was pointed at a chrome car bumper and thus photographing a glint from the sun. Picked it up and discovered a big nasty burn in the image that never went away. UGH!
Old April 30th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks for the lead guys. I just ordered one.

Richard
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #12
Capt. Quirk

How does one get the video onto a Umatic? Is it RCA, S-video, or something even more archaic and difficult? I realize there is more out there than just firewire, more than I will ever use. Also, how expensive are the 3/4 tapes?
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #13
Contributor

Depends on the deck, some have 26 pin input, all have bnc composite, and some have S video also. And they have a dub cable to go from one 3/4" deck to another.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The decks they are giving away are rack-mount, and play only. They have already given out all the desk top models
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #15
Contributor

If they're players only, then there's not much you can do with them if you don't have a boat. Somebody might come along one day with a 3/4 tape and may want you to make a VHS dub or something.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion