Need guidance on prices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need guidance on prices

I have an option to purchase an XL 1 (not "s") package with the 3x wide angle lens, MA 100 adaptor, canon metal case and a few other goodies. Asking price is $2750. Is this a good price? Camera is currently being serviced at Canon (the $95 club member thingy) and has been well cared for apparently. I've done a little research on this and the XL 1s but cannot really justify the extra $$$ for the "s" just yet. Will be shooting properly lit scenes for childrens' music videos. My background is in the motion picture (film based) biz...heavy on optics and darkroom so lighting for video will be different but exciting. There is one option for an XL1s through a gal on Ebay named Nikki in Warsaw, In. That "presale" thing ... a brand new Canon USA XL1s for $2500. No extended warranty available through her yet. Anyone dealt with her? She has a high rating (over 1,000) with 98% positive feedback and no recent dings. I emailed one of her customers who purchased an "s" from her and he seems very happy even now 3 months later. The only hitch is that it takes 30 days or so to receive the camera. Comments? Advice? Anything? HELP please. LOVE this site and THANKS A BUNCH in advance............P.S> I'm leaning towards the XL1 $2750 deal but would like opinions on the price. Peace
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:46 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Why don't you spend the extra cash for a new XL1s from one of dvinfo's sponsors? - a warranty coupled with great service?
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #3
Major Player

That XL1s on Ebay...what accessories does it come with? Does it come with the viewfinder and autolens? If not, then it's not that great of a deal.

I personally would never buy a camera from Ebay. I just don't trust people there. Not for something that expensive.

I just bought my gear from http://www.zgc.com - who are sponsored by this forum. They delivered the XL1s in my hand the next day- great service, plus if you buy now you get a 2 year warranty.

As far as the XL1 vs. the XL1s, I guess it depends on the limits of your budget. Have you considered the Canon GL2 instead? Its a newer camera, around that price range, and people seem to really like it.
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Yeah. I don't trust e-bay for expensive toys as well. I have bought a lot of lenses there, however, and still bid on the odd one. But the most I spent on a lens was under $120 US. If I get cheated, I can live with a small loss. But losing big time on a cam, well, that's another story. I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

That XL1 with the 3X lens, I wonder if this is Bruce Johnson's old cam. You never know....
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Be sure to read our How to Not Get Scammed on Ebay buyer's guide. To purchase an expensive item like this from overseas, is not a good idea and the article explains this. Also, for excellent deals on new cameras, see our List of Authorized Sponsors. This is always the best way to go.

When it comes to the question of "where to buy," I generally reserve the right to have the last word on things, so this is now a closed thread. There's good advice here -- hope it helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion