Best Camera For Making Movies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Camera For Making Movies

Greetings. I’m new to this board so forgive me if this question has been addressed. After 25 years of scriptwriting for myself and others, I’ve decided to begin shooting my own material. Having just purchased a Power Mac and Final Cut Pro, I am now in the market for a camera.

I’m looking for a camera for the sole purpose of shooting straight to video movies, nothing else. My budget for this camera is $5,000.00. Until now, associates of mine have shot and sold four such movies using the XL2. I was all prepared to purchase the Canon XL2 but the distributor recommended I shoot in HD. So now I'm looking to purchase a hi-def camera.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Canon XH A1. With this camera, I'll have money left over to purchase a tripod, a few lights and so forth. However, what I really want is the JVC GY-HD110U, but that would consume the entire five grand. I'd have to go into even more debt for the extras.

Any camera recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Go for the XH-A1,you won't regret it
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
New Boot

What would the differences be between the XL2 and the XH-A1? Is it just the HD ability?

Just curious as I've been looking at getting the XL2. I doubt that what I have in mind to shoot would need to be HD but any info is always helpful.

Les
Les Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Differences between the XL2 and the HX-A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynn View Post
What would the differences be between the XL2 and the XH-A1? Is it just the HD ability?

Just curious as I've been looking at getting the XL2. I doubt that what I have in mind to shoot would need to be HD but any info is always helpful.

Les
One big difference between the XL2 and the XH-A1 is newer technology. The XH-A1 is pretty new and the XL2 is not. I’ve also heard (and I don’t know if this is true or not) that the standard DV image from the A1 is superior to that of the standard DV image on the XL2. Again, I don’t know if this is actually true but with the A1’s newer technology, it makes sense.

In reality, I’m leaning toward the JVC GY-HD110U. It shoots 24P (the A1 does not), 720P (the A1 does not) and has Interchangeable lenses (the A1 does not), all for less than $5000.00. I've done still photography for 20 years and I can't imagine shooting anything without the ability to change lens.

I’ll have to check my money. My second choice, however, is the A1, which I’ll get if I can’t find enough money for the JVC. I’ll keep you posted.

And thanks Phil for your thoughts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion