Mac vs Windows PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac vs Windows PC

I figured I'd give this a thread of its own where it belongs. I've been hearing lots of fun arguments between the two camps. It usually goes a little something like this:

Mac guy: Macs are better than PCs!

Windows guy: PC's are better than Macs!

Mac guy: Oh yeah? Well Macs are faster than PCs!

Windows guy: Oh yeah? Well it cost less and I can do just as much with a PC as with a Mac!

Mac guy: Oh yeah? Well the Mac looks stylish and comes in many childish colors!

Windows guy: Oh yeah? Well PCs have amazingly useful floppy drives! They can hold an incredible 1.4 Megs!

Mac guy: Oh yeah? Well the Mac doesn't crash as much!

Windows guy: Oh yeah? At least rebooting after a crash gives me time to actually get my ass out of the chair!

Mac guy: Oh yeah? Mac has OS X!

Windows guy: And Windows has XP! Both platforms have fruity OS's!

Mac guy: Macs are easier to use!

Windows guy: Oh yeah? Windows has Microsoft Frontpage!

Mac guy: So?

Windows guy: You're right. Frontpage sucks.

Mac guy: Of course I'm right! I have a Mac! I am invincible!

Windows guy: Oh yeah? PC's have incredibly useful serial ports.

Mac guy: Mac has Final Cut Pro

Windows guy: Ummmmmm... OK you win that one.

Etc etc etc etc etc etc.

My opinion is that computers are basically like cars. No matter which one you drive, it'll get you where you want to go. Some cars ride smoother than others and don't break down as much, therefore increasing the amount of driving you can do in the long run. Others are cheaper and get better MPG, but are harder to handle and just not as fun.

My opinion is that Final Cut Pro can't be beat for video editing in the consumer realm.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

another take...

Mac guy: Drivers! We don't need no stinking drivers! (well sometimes)

PC guy: Yeah? Well, we've got XP Second Mellenium Edition, service pack 2.7.331! No wait, that wasn't it...

Mac guy: XP? What's XP? How can I get it? What color is it? Can I get it in tangerine?

PC guy: RFQ, you pal!

Mac guy: RFQ? What's RFQ? How can I get it? What color is it? Can I get it in tangerine?

All joking aside. I'm the Mac guy because I come from a graphic arts background and refused to use Ventura Publisher back in '83. Started off with PageMaker 2.0, Illustrator (?) and Photoshop 2.0... even authored a Sybex PhotoShop 2.5 "how to" book. No kidding. Amazon still shows it out of print! Ha!

I'm a FCP fan, too. And frankly, arguing that one platform is better than the other is like arguing that watercolor is a better medium than oils or acrylics. It's not about what you use, it's about what you put on the canvas.

TTFN

Wayde
a la WGardner
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Uh-Oh....watch out Joe. You're gonna get the rejects from the dv.com forums (and others) over here slinging "stuff" with little else to contribute!

Cheers
Old February 14th, 2002, 12:46 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by wgardner
I'm a FCP fan, too. And frankly, arguing that one platform is better than the other is like arguing that watercolor is a better medium than oils or acrylics. It's not about what you use, it's about what you put on the canvas. -->>>

Bravo Wayde! You're 5x5 on that remark.

<<<-- Originally posted by Vic Owen
Uh-Oh....watch out Joe. You're gonna get the rejects from the dv.com forums (and others) over here slinging "stuff" with little else to contribute! -->>>

They do seem to do alot of..."slinging"...over there, don't they? I visit them several times a week and occasionally post there, too. But it increasingly seems like an uninformative and relatively unstructured platform for a few folks to kick-up their heels. There are a few extremely knowledgable people over there and still some very good discussions there that make it worth at least an occasional visit. But, at least from my perspective, this is a far better forum. Polite. Thoughtful. Knowledgable.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

DV.com forums? Never been there. Sounds like a fun place. Hopefully I forget to visit. :)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Actually, Ken is right -- there are a (few) pretty knowledgable folks in the NLE forum. It's unfortunate that they get lost in the rabble. I've occasionally contributed, and have also been hammered a couple of times.

The Audio forum is quite good -- Jay Rose moderates it, and I've gotten several tips as well as sticky questions answered. It also doesn't generate into plaform wars. Maybe we could stir up a Senn vs. Azden feud.....ha!
Old February 14th, 2002, 06:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Rent the flick "The Pirates of Silicon Valley."

Shows both genius'.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion