What Are the White Domes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 14th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What Are the White Domes?

Not being in the broadcast business I'll hazard asking about something that might be like "duh" to those who are.

Often while watching sporting events I'll see (shoulder) camera operators with gadgets that look like white domes mounted on short, vertical poles on the back of their cams. Are these wireless a/v transmitters? If so how do they work and where can I learn more about them?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2002, 09:24 AM   #2
globalvillage

Ken,

You hit the nail on the head, there. They're small, line-of-sight microwave transmitters. A lot of times, the unit will be mounted on a pole and hand held by a dedicated crew member. They did it that way at the presidential political conventions when I was there last time. Since so many people are standing, waving hands and signs, they pole mount the transmitters to insure that the signal gets to the receiver unobstructed.

Bill S.
Old February 15th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #3
globalvillage

Ken,

P.S. I can do a little research and forward some more technical info if you're interested. As for the cost of these units, they're not cheap. Definitely out of my price range, but I'll find out about that too.

Bill S.
Old February 15th, 2002, 10:52 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks so much, Bill. It settles a nagging curiousity I've had for quite some time.

No need to dig further. Since they're microwave I assume that they'll require a permit...and that they're not cheap. Might be a good thing to keep in mind for future multi-cam situations.

Thanks again.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #5
Wrangler

Digital Version

I've heard that there is a special digital version (transmitter) which stops the breaks up you sometimes see on live events.

I've only heard that it is best suited to studio situations.

I can't remember where I saw or heard this but this question court something, which was in the back of my head.

Any body else know anything about this or whether it is true?

All the best,

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion