Pro Video Backpack for Mountains etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 4th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pro Video Backpack for Mountains etc.

I use a Sony Digibeta Camera (700). I'd like to take the camera up on mountains and am looking for a capable bag for doing the job. What do other pros use for this type of outdoor videography. Ideally, I'd like one that could hold the camera with the lens already mounted so I don't have to mount it everytime I want to grab a shot. I saw the Kata Grizzly and the Porta Brace backpack but I can't tell if you can carry the cam with the lens attached. Any tips?

Thanks,

Michael
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Michael, are you out for a day trip or are you doing overnighters? I do a lot of Backcountry snowboarding with shovel and probe plus sometimes tent, stove ,food and sleepnig bag. I have a much less expensive HVR-V1u. I put it in a pelican case and put it inside my regular backpack. (Osprey Ceres 50). I like the protection of the hard case in case I take a fall while riding or hit a tree. The case does weigh too much and its foam lining allowed me to cut out my cameras shape. I do look like a pack mule but I have climbed above 13000 and been out all day while skinning up and riding down.
If you plan to travel long distance I would look at a real backpack for the comfort of design ( real hip belt wide padded straps) and a sutible light hard case for your camera.
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That option may work well for the small HVR-V1, but my camera is at much, much larger. The pelican cases that fit my camera are so large that it would be very impractical to carry on my back.

Thanks,

Michael
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Major Player

How far do you plan to travel in a day, and is there any other gear involved other than film equipment?
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion