Renting Camera/Equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 13th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Renting Camera/Equipment

I am sure some of you out there are renting your equipment out when not using it. How do you do it?

What do you charge for say, your XL1S? (per day)

If you do rent it, what does the party renting it pay you as collateral? Insurance?

Please advise.

Thanks!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't rent mine out, but if I did, I'd charge $100us per day, which is the going rate here, but I'd also include tripod and extra gear for that price.

I'd take a credit card and driver's license, car, first born, hot girlfriend, etc... as collateral.
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Excellent!

The first two ok, drivers license/passport and a credit card. But the others may start out nice and end up costing you a whole lot more. Though the hot lady would be...

Are you able to accept credit cards? Or do you just hold it until the check/cash clears?

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah, you need to be able to take credit cards to be able to charge anything to it. Forgot to mention that in the first post.
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #5
Major Player

hmm, I honestly don't think it's the best idea to just take a credit card and leave it at that. What if the guy has a $500 limit? There he goes with your $5,000 XL1s, and you're out of luck.

I would only rent out my equipment to someone I know and trust, OR someone who has rental insurance (which you can get for about $300 a year).
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

what i rent it for

Derrick:

First thing I only rent to friends or referred by friends, credit cards are no good unless you can process them. 2nd I usually charge 200-250 a day but they are getting my cam, 16x man, 16x standard a wireless, tripod, shotgun mic and frezzi kit with anton bauers. I usually tack on another 25 a day for the lowell light kit......it depends on what you throw in with it, and the biggest thing is probably rent only to people you can trust, I need the equipment back for my own uses and if theres a problem it will take time to replace....

best bet know the people you rent to if its your camera...I've only rented mine out maybe 12-15 times and loaned another 10 times or so (if theres stuff you need but dont have set up a pool with friends :) I borrow you borrow) always to people i know will respect the equipment and investment ive made.

I would think the general rate for stock cam with ma-100 should be between $150 or so a day what ive seen the average rental in my area.

m
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Michel,

Thanks. Definately people you trust. Or a credit card you can charge with a given amount.

I have insurance on the camera and everything else in my studio.

The going rate here in New York, for just the camera(XL1S) + MA100, is appr. 200-250 beans a day.

Thats a good idea if people could pool together and pay for production needs. I assume everybody would eventually in due time get their cash back and have a completed project to boot.

Thanks for your responses.

I think I'll absorb the cost per day of keeping my camera idle when its not in use... Afterall, I live in New York City. I rent it out and its stolen from the person I rented it to?!?!?!? Forget that.

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion