WHY we love/hate DV equipment. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Trustee

WHY we love/hate DV equipment.

Tongue firmly in cheek, I though I'd share this silly little exercise with the group.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BarGraph Goof.pdf (175.0 KB, 456 views)
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I think the same thing can be said about computers.
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Hahahaha, thats awesome!

~Gabriel
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hah, I love it! So true, so true.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I hope I can pick up a used Red Camera one for a cheaper price in 18 months.

is there any reason besides cost to perfer dv over film?
Sean J. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J. Manning View Post
It all depends upon the tastes, methods, and intentions of the person formulating the preference. :)
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J. Manning View Post
Yes, I hope I can pick up a used Red Camera one for a cheaper price in 18 months.

Sure, lots of reasons.

Looking at just a couple might start with with the environmentally poisonous nature of miles and miles of Silver Nitrate film stock being produced, along with the toxic chemicals used to develop/process same.

Getting rid of all of that would be a HUGE major and clear environmental plus.

Also shooting film is a difficult art. You can't really see the actual results you're getting until days later after the chemical processing is complete. Video assist allows some framing judgments, but nothing about the totality of color and lighting choices until long after the fact. With Digital Video, you can actually SEE the precise quality and nature of your shots - on the set - as they are recorded.

The other side of the argument, of course, is that at THIS stage at least, nothing digital really matches the wonderful aesthetic qualities of film. And to get that, you NEED to use all the awful chemical junk.

Like all of life, trade-offs attend all choices we commonly get to make.

Ces't la vie.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Miles and miles of chemical junk?

I vaguely recollect that miles and miles of tape stocks, the coats, binders and plastics which comprise the cassette cases, some of the chemicals which go into the plastic camera bodies and electronic components are not so sweet and benign either.

Film, through its very cost might be a self-limiting commodity in terms of enviromental impact. Tape on the other hand?

The enviromental ledger between film and tape might be less heavily balanced against film than one might initially think.

Just a thought, without any research or published fact whatever, read by me to back up my suggestion.

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 9th, 2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Trustee

[QUOTE=Bob Hart;694708]Miles and miles of chemical junk?

I vaguely recollect that miles and miles of tape stocks, the coats, binders and plastics which comprise the cassette cases, some of the chemicals which go into the plastic camera bodies and electronic components are not so sweet and benign either.

Yeah, no question there's a lot of plastics in the process.

But as bad as they are, I don't remember polyvinyl chloride or polycarbonate and iron oxide (essentially rust) being at quite the same level as Silver Nitrate.

Google tells me that the Material Safety Data Sheet for Silver Nitrate found here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/S2282.htm and elsewhere is as follows.

Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Poison)
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 3 - Severe (Oxidizer)
Contact Rating: 3 - Severe (Corrosive)
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES & SHIELD; LAB COAT & APRON; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Yellow (Reactive)

Maybe I'm ignorate and unaware that they've changed the chemistry of movie film. But that's what I remember it to basically be.

So I suspect that the literally MILLIONS of miles of this stuff used over the years to represent a pretty substantial environmental challenge - and remember, that's just the film itself. I don't know the chemistry of developing fluid and the stop bath and the other chemicals used in the film processing chain, but I suspect they might be a bit gnarly as well.

So if we can dial back on the production and use of these, isn't that a desirable goal?

Seems to me that it would be. YMMV.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion