Equipments for a shoot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Equipments for a shoot?

Hey Guys
Im a XL2 user and I need some advice/info on some equipments needed to do a shoot. I have got a client who needs a shoot to be done - they haven't specified if its a commercial or not but I do think it is. This company might be using me more than just once so they want a list of equipments needed to buy or rent. I've got a meeting with them in two days and then I will know more in-depth about what they want. But I came up with a list that I think I would need;

1)Camera [XL2] (I own one)
2)wireless mics
3)on camera light
4)dolly
5)tripod (I own one)
6)steady stick/brace
7)mics/boom
8)green screen
9)clapper

Now I'm not sure if I have got everything but If you guys can think of items I would really appreciate it if you guys gave me suggestions

Thanking you all in advance
Prashanna Jayaseelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A couple of questions:

Why do yo think you need a clapper?

How many channels of audio would you like to record?

Are you going to lay track for the dolly or would this dolly be running on wheels? Do you want a stand alone dolly with a ball mount or would you be using the dolly with your tripod?

What type of budget are we looking at here?

The sky's the limit for most of the equipment you are looking at, you could spend tens of thousands just for a stabilizer or a dolly system. It would be helpful to know he implications of the type of shooting you need to tackle. I would also add a field mixer to your list. I've used a shure fp-24 to great success but people seem to like the sound devices 302 on this site.
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
Why do yo think you need a clapper?
It makes you look professional, but you really don't need one. Get a cheap dry erase board and some markers. Marking your scenes (one function of a clapper board) it useful when it comes time to edit, especially if you shoot out of order. If you are recording audio to another machine (not the camera) then a clapper board is more useful. The clap of the sticks matches up the audio with the video of the sticks coming together. Either way, do something to mark scenes to save time in the edit room.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanna Jayaseelan View Post
3)on camera light
unless your doing run and gun news gathering i can't see an on camera light doing you any favours. If you want to produce anything of quality you need to light it well, using the lights in the place or a cam light is not enough by a long way. You need to budget for lighting.

Andy.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Graham View Post
unless your doing run and gun news gathering i can't see an on camera light doing you any favours. If you want to produce anything of quality you need to light it well, using the lights in the place or a cam light is not enough by a long way. You need to budget for lighting.

Andy.
I've seen some productions use a ring light around the lens to fill in the eyes and flatten out the face a little on some movies. It's actually a well used technique. It also works well to fill in any shadows the camera may create if you get up close to your subject. Light pannels makes one, or at least they used to, but its a bit pricey.
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hartzell View Post
I've seen some productions use a ring light around the lens to fill in the eyes and flatten out the face a little on some movies. It's actually a well used technique. It also works well to fill in any shadows the camera may create if you get up close to your subject. Light pannels makes one, or at least they used to, but its a bit pricey.

The eye light is a light of its self, to create life in the subject....a soul. The eye light is an essential in creating the character and his/her emotions. It does not light the scene.

Andy
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, you definitely need a comprehensive light kit to go along with any camera mounted light. Definitely not enough. Also, you could hang a 120watt light bulb in a chinese lantern right above the camera in order to achieve the same effect.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Major Player

It's hard to say what you need if you don't know what the project is or even the concept. You may need all of that and more, or you may need none of it.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #9
New Boot

You need a light kit dude!

at least a d-kit or equivalent.
John Faulks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion