Old Fashioned Clapper Slate Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Old Fashioned Clapper Slate Question

I've noticed that some of these have black and white diagonal stripes and some have colored stripes.

Is there any particular reason to prefer one over the other?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I got one with the color stripes. That way I can use them for a very coarse color correction on multi-camera shots. At the end of the day they're nothing i rely too heavily on, but I figured that they'd do more for me than BW. I got mine from Media Monkey and I could not have been more pleased, not only with the product but with their excellent service as well.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks much for the response. I had thought they might be of some use in rough color balancing, but had also thought the B&W version might make it easier to see exactly where the clapper sticks had made contact to sync up with the sound.

I think the colored stripes look nicer though!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Truth be told they're extremely easy to find the sync point in post. On the way down there's motion blur and at contact there's not. More often than not I'm using it to sync multiple cameras rather than audio to video. And I do find the color to be a nice thing to have,
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

OK - You've convinced me. Color it is! And for some strange reason the colored slate is about $5 cheaper than the B&W.

I'll have a couple of mics at varying distances recording to a separate recorder and the camera at yet another distance so it seemed like a good idea to establish a visual and audible sync point.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion