What settings for Fireworks shoot - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:43 AM   #46
Wrangler

I shot our fireworks last year with my XL2. I used the 16X manual with a .7 wide angle adapter.

Set the camera in full manual mode. You don't need to add gain, the fireworks will be plenty bright.

Set focus to manual and on infinity. Stay full wide during the display.

I don't recommend F11 as Bill does because that's going to bring in some undesirable characteristics of the lens. I know Bill is recommending this to get you deeper DOF which you will need cause the fireworks aren't all going to be at the same distance from you. But F11 is outside the sweet spot of the lens and if you do use a wide angle adapter, your DOF should be plenty deep at full wide.

My recommendation is to stay at around f4 or f5.6 and set knee to low and blacks to stretch in the presets menu.

If you don't have a wide angle adapter, 80 feet away is going to be too close for a nice wide view of the show. Try to get further away if possible.

Also, try to stay upwind of the show so that falling debris doesn't land on the camera.

Have fun and be safe!

-gb-

If possible, have someone send up a test fire so you can lock the camera on the correct settings before the main show starts.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM   #47
Major Player

Greg,

Good point I'll use some ND and open up abit and see what happens this year.
The ones I shoot are shot from three barges and they are 200 to 300 yards apart. I'll try focusing between the first and second barge and see what happens.

Bill
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #48
New Boot

VX-2100 and Fireworks

I am looking for some advice from the VX/PD veterans. I purchased a VX-2100 about 6 months ago and I am trying to learn how to get the most out of it. It has produced some stunning footage in both manual and auto modes until I tried to capture some of the holiday fireworks shows, over the weekend. The show was about 14 minutes long and I started with everything in auto, just to see what would happen, for the first couple of minutes. Through the rest of the show, I played with some of the program modes and full manual settings. I never really got the sharp color rich images that I was looking for. I'm not sure how to accurately manual focus the short burst of fireworks. Best focus seemed to be at, or near infinity. I know every situation is different, but what would be a "typical" setup for this type shot? (Aperature, Shutter, White Balanace) I did notice that when in auto, there was lots of gain. I was able to go the other direction and close down the aperature and that did help some.
Thanks
Steve Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Fireworks look best shot with a very static camer - of that I'm positive. Fireworks are also very bright, so you'll probably need zero gain and something like f/4. Experiment. Infinity focus is good, as is daylight white balance. AGC for the audio is probably best to avoid overoad on the biggest bangs.

I always do a two camera shoot. Both cameras run continuously for sync on the timeline, and the roving cam captures the skyward turned faces oohing and ahring at the night sky. Four pictures in the frame on the edit (with the faces at the bottom) works really well.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #50
New Boot

AGC on VX2100

A lot of people say they use the AGC for audio to avoid overloading the sound. I find that the sound runs very hot. Is this normal? When adjusting levels manually, what mark do you aim for on the display?

Ezra
Ezra Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #51
Fred Retread

peaks of approximately -12dB is usual, but the dynamic range of a firewords show is hard to predict. You don't want the loudest boom to exceed 0 dB.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #52
Wrangler

The AGC clamps rather than control gain as far as I can figure out. That's why I set the second channel in manual and the level control at about 1/3rd. That way, when the auto channel peaks, the manual channel is there as a backup and I don't have to monitor the sound all the time (when I'm a one-person band).
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #53
Fred Retread

Apparently you're not talking about the VX2100, Mike?
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #54
Wrangler

Oooooh, I didn't look at the model. Dang, I hate it when I do that.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Filming Fireworks

Hi guys, I've just got a job to film in a few days time, where basically the main part of the event is a large fireworks display.

This is new territory for me and no time to practice, so, any one have any advice on technique and settings on the XL1s to best capture it.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #56
RED Code Chef

Perhaps these threads might be of some assistance:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=22894
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=18898

The other thing I remember is that I had some drop outs that looked like it
may have been caused by loud explosions and big bangs. Then again, it was
freezingly cold when I shot something like that 5 years ago or something

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Shooting Fire Works- Tips

Going to shoot fire works( night shoot) with two camera, canon XH A1 and
Sony Z1p. The A1 is my own camera and I am horing the Z1. Iwill be shooting in HDV mode. I am familiar with the shooting mode of the A1, eventhough I am not an expert in shooting such events. As for the Z1 we are using this camera for
the first time.
So what exposure mode with the A1 is to shoot fire work. I prefer with manual mode with shutter at 50 and iris I think should have to open fully as these cameras are performing poor in low light. I don't like to use any gain settings
because it generate so much noice in the black background. Any one tried any other mode. How about the Night Mode in the A1. I like advice from other
experienced users. Thanks
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #58
Regular Crew

I am not sure if this will help you but take a look at a little how to from izzy.

http://img669.libsyn.com/img669/7a22...zzyvideo36.mp4
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link. It is nice.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #60
Trustee

How to shoot fireworks

1.) Lay on ground
2.) Light fuse
3.) Get away!
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion