Need input on these actors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Need input on these actors

We have narrowed down to 2. As the future audience of the film, given just what you see who would you prefer to see? The film is set in the medeival-esque times (fictional place/time but similar). The main character is going off to war leaving his wife and child for the better of the world. She is upset, saddened, worried, and angry at his decision all rolled in one. There are good points of both auditioness but I won`t express my thoughts until you guys give your input. Thanks so much.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VsSzJAlc7xI
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Sarah has what I would consider a more "classic" look as far as facial features and hair style look goes.

But Jennifer has more expressive range to her facial features and seems to project more emotion into her test lines. However she would have to somehow keep from sweeping hair back as I feel that is a motion/gesture more in line with contemporary times.

I would vote for Jennifer if she could keep hands away from hair.

Hope this has been some help.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

based on ..well you see i'm a DP ... and i'm VISUAL ..
i find Sarah much more striking ... it would be bliss to light/compose her in frame ..
as far as acting ?
1st impression Jennifer may have read the lines better & perhaps is a bit quicker on getting the character ...
and i think you might have to work with Sarah more for her to nail her performance ...

based on Visual - Sarah ...
acting ? that's the directors thing !
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

They both have qualities to recommend them. It's difficult to make a decision without really knowing the script.

"Medieval" language is a difficult thing to have "ownership" of for an actor, and unless and until they have that, all dialog will seem stilted and forced. Lines like "But what if you shall not return?" do not flow off a modern tongue readily, and unless someone is open to changing "shall" to "do" it's going to take a lot of rehearsal to get it to seem natural.

Based on what I've seen it's kind of neck and neck as far as acting skill. Something to consider is costuming and makeup. How old is Elora supposed to be? my knee-jerk reaction is that Sarah looks a trifle too young, but I don't know what her age is supposed to be.

Jennifer is good, but her diction is typical "lazy-American", which again does not lend itself to a period feel. Her reaction shots do not read as strongly as Sarah's. But Sarah would have to be coached to "act through the handles" to give the editor a full range of a take from which to choose. Actors have a tendency to "act and stop" which is precisely why they usually end up staring into the lens. They must act from the time "action" is called to when "cut" is called.

My 2 cents worth!

Cheers!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys. I see everyones points so far. I too agree that Sarah more looks the part, Jenn more acts the part. If we could someone mash them together....haha. Anymore thoughts? We are meeting tonight for a decision
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Trustee

It really depends. If the story revolves around her, then you might be better off with the more expressive Jennifer, but I really have to say that Sarah is the more attractive, wifely, motherly type that might serve you better.

How much are we supposed to fall in love with her? It would be easier love Sarah, I believe.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Wrangler

Sarah. You probably know better whether or not she can become the character, but if I was casting tonight I’d take the chance on her—no doubt. I sympathized with her; she came across as a little more gentle, submissive, caring and sincere. It's a gamble, but it looks to me like time, and a good director, could help with the parts that didn’t come across so well.

Good luck!
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Its interesting to see how people percieve characters/actor differently. I was seeing Sarah as more 'guy breaking up with a girlfriend' type, where Jenn seemed more mature. To answer steven's question, she will be in the opening scene which establishes the husband as a loving sympathetic guy who is only leaving because he has no choice. So their interaction is very important to get that. I did feel the interaction with jenn was more...connected. At the same time they both nring something unique to the table and to the character. Its still a very tough choice. I polled friends and co-workers and they two split about down the middle. Very interesting...and mind racking heh
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Sarah has the more medieval-esque look to me and her acting I thought was just as good as Jens. Jennifer looks more like a soccer mom and keeps playing with her hair as if she's in a conversation with her girlfriends at Starbucks. I'd take Sarah.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Trustee

Jennifer not only has the problem with the hair but some of her movements are 'modern' if that make sense. It's a tough choice but I'd lean toward sarah. As a matter of courtesy I hope you told them you would be putting the clip on utube.

As an actor I find it reasonably easy to bring forward emotions but I know that a lot of actors struggle with that in an audition situation. It can help if rather than saying - be sad - you give them some back story to work on. " I want to see dispair, think about him leaving, about never seeing him again..."

that way you can bring them to the point you want and then move them in different directions emotionally.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Paul, i did all of that, just off camera before hand. They had the script piece a few days in advance as well.

The hair play was apparent once i reviewed the tape but can`t change how it is. She`d obviously have to stop that hah. The one thing I`m curious abou tis 'modern' movement. Could you elaborate on that?
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I would go for Jenniffer.

To be honest, I really thought Sarah was acting really badly, and I think your movie would suffer trough it. I didn't think Jenniffer was acting superb, but it was a lot better then Sarah.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Quattrini View Post
The one thing I`m curious abou tis 'modern' movement. Could you elaborate on that?

Sorry - just read your post.

It's just a sense I get, her movement, her attitude is that of a modern day woman, liberated, equal - able to state her position. At one point she almost got agressive - in his face. While I'm no historian or anthropologist , I don't believe that woman in a period piece would have felt able to state their case in that way - they may have said the same thing but the manner would have been different. I hope that makes sense - I can't justify this objectively - it's just stands out to me.
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Jennifer is best, more expressive, more believable... but lose some of the medieval language. Put in just enough to set the time and place but not enough to detract from the story.

This is a movie, it's not Shakespeare...

methinks.

--Ralph
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM   #15
New Boot

Jennifer.
Good acting is more important than 'look'. She could always wear a wig.

There was more meat to her performance, she looked like she actually brought something to the character.

Always go with performance over look, trust me on that!
Jasmine Marie Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion