Betacam question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Betacam question

Hi,

Here is an old school question for some of you who may have worked with/or still are working with Betacam.. Specificly the Sony 1800 model record deck..
I know it records vidoe in the 4:3 aspect ratio.. but does it have a way to record 16:9 standard definition?? I know you can record a letterboxed 4;3 version(becuse I did it yesterday) but I still do not know(I doubt it does) if it can record 16:9 standard def, kind of like we have in the DV world???

Thanks for any response..

Mike Moncrief
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If it can I've never found the way to. I don't think it's capable but like yourself I might have missed it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

OK Thanks, thats what i figured.. Know anything about Digi-Beta?? Is it the same as far as just doing 4:3 ?? no 16:9 standard def.???

I thin the Digi-Beta deck model # is DVW-A500..

Mike Moncrief
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Analogue video doesn't really bother that much about ratios - all it needs is the correct number of fields, frames and sync. The actual data recorded isn't important. It's the display end where things get adjusted. So if you have a beta recording, letterboxed, it's still a 4:3 recording in the conventional sense, just that black is recorded on the unused frame lines. Modern TVs detect the black and do the appropriate adjustment if the screen is widescreen. When you work in the digital domain, the pixel width and height is part of the spec - but in analogue it isn't.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes you can record an anamorphic image onto dbeta (as you can with every other 4:3 format). You can record a 16:9 image squished to fit a 4:3 frame.

I dont believe dbeta has any method of flagging the material as anamorphic... you can put a sticker on the tape (or its case), label it as anamorphic, and mention in the slate that it's anamorphic.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion