Upgrade RAm or upgrade processor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Upgrade RAm or upgrade processor?

I have a Mac Intel Solo 1.5 Ghz with 512 RAM and I want to start doing more NLE.

I can...

1. Upgrade the RAM to 2 Gig on my existing 1.5 Ghz, or

2. Purchase a new Dual core with a 1.83 Mhz processor and 20 Gig more hard drive, along with more RAM.

3. Purchase a comparable PC system and use it just for NLE.

Relative to most of you guys, I am a rank amateur. (I did a semester in college for broadcasting and I have done a few short pieces for podcasts and you-tube projects...yep, that is my *ahem* film-career dossier, so to speak.)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kurt Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kurt--

Since you're coming from this, as you say, from an amatuer's standpoint, you've gotta ask yourself a few things: 1) is this just a hobby or is it going to blow up into a full business; 2) how much money can you invest in hardware and software? Of course, there are a million other variables to consider.

We've been in the production business for less than a year. We had a small budget to begin with, spending most on video & audio gear. I already had a "good" PC (not dual core, but with 3.2ghz with hyper threading, 2g of ram & 500g of hdd space), and bought Adobe's Production Studio as our nle. So far it's been working great for us.

With that said, I would pick an nle that you're used to and comfortable in using. Most of today's nle's have a trial period that you can use. Unfortunately, some nle's will require some hardware requirement that you may not have.

And don't worry about the amateur tag; I'm still learning how to upload video for our website :)

Good luck,

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

For cuts and dissolves, your Mac will work fine for DV. (You can even use a less powerful system... like a dual processor 500mhz G4.)

I wouldn't bother upgrading the system though... you'd likely be better off waiting a little and getting a new CPU (which usually means a new computer, because your old one gets obsolete and not upgradeable). Though RAM-wise FCP would likely benefit from a little more RAM... check the system recommendations.

You can cut stuff on a DP500mhz G4, so I wouldn't sweat it that much.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Kurt--

Since you're coming from this, as you say, from an amatuer's standpoint, you've gotta ask yourself a few things: 1) is this just a hobby or is it going to blow up into a full business; 2) how much money can you invest in hardware and software?
Thanks for the response!

1. I do not see this becoming a career but I do love it as a great hobby!

2. It would cost me about $400 all told to upgrade my Mac from 512 Mg to 2Gig. It would cost about $1200.00 to get the new 1.83 Ghz Dual Core dual processor with 2 Gig bu then I could turn around and sell the old 1.5 Ghz single core for a couple hundred. Net difference of $600.00 between upgrading RAM in my old CPU and buying an upgraded CPU.

Just when I think I'm leaning towards the memory upgrade, I start thinking "Well, THIS computer IS a couple years old!"

: )

I should probably stick with the memory upgrade.

Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Copeland View Post
I should probably stick with the memory upgrade.
Good idea - that way you can get to play with your existing computer with more memory to see how it is. If you decide you want to change the computer as a result, you can use the memory in a new computer (as long as they use the same type - e.g., DDR or DDR2). Since Intel Macs and PCs are basically the same as far as hardware goes, you could probably use the memory in a PC, too - if you end up going that route.

I'm somewhat baffled by the cost, though - $400 to go from 512MB to 2GB. On my PC, I got 2GB for $120 a couple of months ago. You may want to investigate non-Apple options for RAM.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller View Post
Good idea - that way you can get to play with your existing computer with more memory to see how it is. If you decide you want to change the computer as a result, you can use the memory in a new computer (as long as they use the same type - e.g., DDR or DDR2). Since Intel Macs and PCs are basically the same as far as hardware goes, you could probably use the memory in a PC, too - if you end up going that route.

I'm somewhat baffled by the cost, though - $400 to go from 512MB to 2GB. On my PC, I got 2GB for $120 a couple of months ago. You may want to investigate non-Apple options for RAM.
Yep. funny story. I bought a Mac solo mini. Its case cannot be opened by the consumer without voiding the warranty. It "HAS" to be brought into the store to have the memory switched out.

Yep.

Can anyone suggest alternatives?

Anyone got the "special tool" they use to open those cases?
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Major Player

If it's a couple of years old, is it in fact still under warranty?

At $400 for the upgrade, you are paying a big premium for an upgrade vs. upgrading the machine.

This link may be of interest to you:
It is at Crucials website - The store front for Micron, North Americas largest memory manufactorer & vendor.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...2D+1%2E5GHz%29
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion