Low cost solution for blocking windows at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 20th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Low cost solution for blocking windows

Does anyone have one? I'm talking about blocking the sunlight, or at least diffusing it somewhat, coming through a window from outside, when shooting an interior scene. Something that could cover a very large window, or a small one, and be invisible to the camera. I was thinking of something that could go behind the blinds.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

ND gel sheets are relatively inexpensive, and wont change the color of the light - just knock it down. i bought several sheets after driving 45 minutes away to the only place that had them in stock, it was like $5.50 for 20x24 sheet...im sure i couldda found a better deal had i more time. try checkin on the internet. you can always get ND .3 and .6 and then double up for a .9 if needed (thats what i did).

Trey Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Contributor

I got in a bind one time when, after having scouted the location and decided on the shot, the producer wanted to change everything so a huge double patio door with blinds was in the shot. We had no ND gel, no CTO either. But there was a big roll of those black plastic leaf bags in the garage. I slit open the bags--they're just bigger than normal garbage bags, and a little thinner than normal too since they're for leaves, mainly. I slit them open and gaffertaped them to the window, then dropped the blinds and opened them slightly. There was still enough light coming in to look good as opposed to blacked out...and, strangely enough, the color temperature was just a little warmer than my tungsten lights.

In another situation, I covered some skylights with brown butcher paper, and that came out very close in color to the 3200 K lights too.

Normally I use the proper gels, but in their absence, there is often a way to make it work.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Filmtools.com currently has Lee ND rolls on sale 96.85 for a 4' by 25' roll.

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/y.html

this is typically adequate for getting seamless coverage of a couple large windows.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Best, cheapest way to totally block out a window is aluminum foil. Keeps the room cool too.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:05 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Don't most of the "cheap" solutions here block the window so
that you can't see out of it anymore?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

He mentioned there would be blinds.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:06 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The art supply stores here sell clear and tinted plastic sheeting, the thick rubbery type, on large rolls for very cheap. Not sure what it's intended for, but it would be great for tinting or shading windows. Plus, it'll stick to the window just from static electricity. No taping.

I hope they don't catch on that it's good for photography and filming...if they do, they'll just package it in a black box and jack the price up about 1000%.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM   #9
Wrangler

If you are flat broke, and there are blinds obstructing most of the view, buy a bedsheet, and hang it outside the window.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

Thanks gents. . .all good ideas!
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Your local Home Depot sells large rolls of poly that is used for many purposes, such as temporary covering of a leaky roof. This is for covering a large area with a single sheet. If I remember right it may come in different thickness (mils) and the thinest would let a very little light through.

I have used these large sheets of black to make a wrinkled backdrop that I hit with colored lights. So don't throw it away after your shoot.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:28 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

What's the name of this stuff? Can it be easily attached to a window without damaging anything?
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM   #13
Major Player

The highly technical name is, "plastic sheeting." It measures 10' x 25' and costs under ten bucks. You can tape it up, or use some kind of clips. Black. Use this to create night in the room. (No sunlight)

You could also look at "drop cloths" in the paint department, but those are usually more transparent. Stacking two or three of them would knock down the level of the outdoor light and still let some into the room through the drapes.

Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Warden

Josh, the material is called visqueen. The name has become generic, like Jello and Kleenex. I did a series of videos years ago for the building trades and learned about the material. Here's a link to the manufacture.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:01 PM   #15
Major Player

While Jeff is right about "visqueen," the Home Depot search engine only knows "plastic sheeting." Obviously they have no romance in their souls.

Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion