Starting from scratch - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

it just gets more and more complicated.

i hadnt questioned that math as someone who i thought knew a lot about computers always told me Macs are more powerful than PCs so i presumed that was what it would work out to.

why do i get the feeling i'll b getting a big ol' loan from Apple and just letting them pick out the most expensive system for me! =)

EDIT: This is the FCP4 system requirements according to Apple:
Macintosh computer with 350MHz PowerPC G4 processor and AGP graphics card.
— Power Mac G4 with 500MHz processor and 1MB level 3 cache, Power Mac G4 with 733MHz processor or faster, or any dual processor Power Mac G4 required for RT Extreme and Soundtrack. — PowerBook G4 with 667MHz processor or faster required for RT Extreme and Soundtrack.
Mac OS X 10.2.5
QuickTime 6.1 or later
384MB RAM (512MB required for RT Extreme and Soundtrack)
1GB of disk space required for application installation.
5GB of disk space required for Soundtrack content.
9GB of disk space required for LiveType content
DVD drive required for installation

Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well, the loan sounds good, but I wouldn't go higher than the dual 1.25 GHz, the 1.42 GHz are just more expensive but only a tad faster.

Check out this site, they are probably the most and only accurate benchmarking site for macs. (From a real world usage point of view, which is the most important)

http://www.barefeats.com/
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

If you go to Non-Linear Editing for the Mac on this forum, you'll see how they've talked about expecting new macs soon. If it's at all possible to wait, just a bit. I'm not one of those people whose always waiting. You could be working while you're waiting. But, you could save some money. Yeah, AVID is the industry standard, and I can respect that, but only if I was spending $75,000-$100,000. FCP4 is an amazing tool, for $1000. Ask the same question in the FCP forums at Apple.com. All the top people there either have or still make a living on AVID as well.
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, if you want to believe the rumors, the new macs with the IBM 970 CPU's are going to ship on the 23rd of June. Remember, it's only a RUMOR.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion