Panasonic AG-HMC 150 discussion - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old September 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #76
Regular Crew

Chuck, just update to FCP 6.04 through Software Update. No one else noticed any glitched frames at all. Everything reads in super simple using Log & Transfer, transcodes to ProRes and LOOKS GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely View Post
On my final cut 6.03, some of the clips you posted started with a few glitched frames -- is that my system's fault or the camera's? Others I can't ingest at all... I see nothing but green; which is to be expected, I guess with some of the frame rates. Most are ok in final cut.
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #77
Major Player

Darren,
I think you're footage is impressive. I have two things though. #1 I get bad stuttering on your clips. Anybody know that? The other thing is what was your gain settings etc. for the indoor restaurant shot and the outside street shot. Thanks for all of your work. This is exciting. Oh, I'm in Vegas 8.0c and the footage just imports right in lickity split. It plays without any frame lag. I have a Core2Duo 2.4 and 4gigs of RAM on XPpro.
Bill
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #78
Major Player

Lets start a scene file thread

Darren:

In coming fron the Canon XH-A1, figuring out the HMC-150 controls is big change. I like it, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Even the simplest items like charging the battery is reverse, Panasonic - green off = charged, Canon - green on = charged.

Anyway, I hope a scene file thread will get started soon so we can share presets. Im hoping to accomplish the over-saturated look of the Canon Vivid-RGB preset. I have not had time to look into presets at all yet, but hopefully they are very adjustable and this is possible.

Hopefully Chris will also set up a camera clips folder in a new HMC150 discussion topic.
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Yes I came from 10 years of mainly Sony cameras so it has been a bit of a learning curve for me too. I like the HMC's controls and I think they are far better than Sony cameras at this pricepoint, it's just that mastering them that will take some relearning.

YES! Scene file exchange sounds sweeeeet!!
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #80
Major Player

I am really interested in this camera. How are everyone's import/conversion/rendering times?

I also read that it takes a pretty powerful computer to edit footage from the HMC150. Are we finding this to be true?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:16 AM   #81
Regular Crew

I am possibly interested in a HMC150 but I am having a hard time finding definitive information about it. I have downloade Panasonic's brochure and it is helpful but not complete enough. Specifically, can anyone tell me if it offers the following two features:

- Ability to do rack focus (i.e., A1's ability to set a focus point, and return to it via push of a button).
- Ability to smoothly ramp a zoom in/out of the zoom end points.
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Norman View Post
I am possibly interested in a HMC150 but I am having a hard time finding definitive information about it. I have downloade Panasonic's brochure and it is helpful but not complete enough. Specifically, can anyone tell me if it offers the following two features:

- Ability to do rack focus (i.e., A1's ability to set a focus point, and return to it via push of a button).
- Ability to smoothly ramp a zoom in/out of the zoom end points.
The HMC150 does not have an external button like the A1 to set a focus point. It might be programable for this, but I don't think so.

I don't fully understand your second question. My observations are the HMC150 has very similar zoom rockers feel, placement and operation as the A1. The initial start and final stop are smooth and there is a little more adjustment in speed. The slow setting is very slow.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM   #83
Major Player

Editing

Very interesting camera. The price range makes it really exiting as well. However my question is about editing in FCS2 and support of AVCHD format on G5. After reading on Apple web page it looks like there is only support on Intel base Macs. Panasonic web page also states, that conversion program from AVCHD to DVCPRO-HD is for Intel base processors only. Any thoughts on this one?
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:26 AM   #84
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Robert, that's been pretty much the standard with AVCHD and Macs. You'll need an Intel Mac to edit AVCHD. Look at it this way, here's your perfect excuse to get a new computer!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Very interesting camera. The price range makes it really exiting as well. However my question is about editing in FCS2 and support of AVCHD format on G5. After reading on Apple web page it looks like there is only support on Intel base Macs. Panasonic web page also states, that conversion program from AVCHD to DVCPRO-HD is for Intel base processors only. Any thoughts on this one?
It is possible to convert the AVCHD to something the G5 can edit using Toast 9. I would suggest DVCProHD
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Shroeger View Post
It is possible to convert the AVCHD to something the G5 can edit using Toast 9. I would suggest DVCProHD
This is almost a deal breaker for me right there. Compare the nightmare of converting AVCHD or the cost of buying a new tower and the difference between HMC150 and HPX170. P2 wins hands down, since i can't get a new Powermac under $1600 (and that is the price differential here). Plus the support is already there and has a proven track.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM   #87
Obstreperous Rex

Robert, according to your other posts, you're already shooting JVC ProHD right now. Why were you considering a switch to Panasonic AVCCAM? Just curious,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Robert, according to your other posts, you're already shooting JVC ProHD right now. Why were you considering a switch to Panasonic AVCCAM? Just curious,
Chris- size matters;). This February I am supposed to go for 10 days to Canadian Rockies and follow hard core climber on his alpine routes. Let me tell you- JVC GY-HD100 is an amazing camera, but carrying it up 3000 feet, jumaring up fixed lines, and shooting while hanging on a rope was a back braking experience. When I started this project in March of 2007 I was still using DVX100. This was a perfect combination of quality and size. Hence my interest in the new HMC150.
There is also a chance I will be going to K2 next year to shoot a documentary about Prince Abruzzi. Imagine carrying HD100 at 26 000 feet!
BTW I think I will use Canon HV20 or 30 on my trip in February. I know it's not the highest quality, but light enough and good enough to mix it up with HD100 shots.
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Another question... I have an AT 897 shotgun mic I would like to use with my new camera. I see that the HMC150 has XLR input which is good, but I'm not sure what provisions are made for physically attaching a 3rd-party mic. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to physically attach a 3rd-party shotgun mic with this camera?

Last edited by Jerry Norman; October 1st, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Jerry Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Norman View Post
...a way to physically attach a 3rd-party shotgun mic with this camera?
It comes with a detachable rubberized mount which allows any shotgun to be used. My ME66 Sennheiser fits nicely with its foam windscreen

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders