A couple HMC 150 Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A couple HMC 150 Questions

I'm just about to pull the trigger to buy one but I have a few questions.

What are people recommending to use for transferring the files from the SDHC cards to your computer?
Will any card reader do or is there a specific kind?
I'm assuming most people are putting UV filter to protect the lense, anyone recommend one?
Also, are there any must-have accessories that are recommended. (I was planning on getting only 4x 16Gb cards and an extra battery) am I missing something crucial?

Thanks in advance!
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Trustee

You may want a card reader, be sure it's specified as an sdhc card reader because not all sd card readers support sdhc. I think I bought the last batch (things grow little legs in our newsroom,have to keep replacing things...)from Amazon, around $20 but the cables were real short, had to buy extensions....teach me to read the specs first! We buy class 6 cards out of an abundance of caution, if 4 class will do the job, please let me know, we could save maybe some $$...extra battery always good, we equip our cameras with decent shotguns and sticks. B&H photo lists UV filters from various makers for cheap, we have bought Tiffen from them for good prices....//Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I picked up a B&W UV filter, mostly for protection. Take care of that nice Leica lens!
I'd also recommend a few bucks for a cam bag on rollers--Petrol makes a few goo ones--great for your back, and a decent tripod. Then you're set.
What will you be shooting for the most part? That will really guide your purchase decisions.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Ken,

I'm right there with you. Let me know where you find the best deals. My biggest concern is compatability and support for using it with FCS2. I don't want to get stuck spending a month babying the thing to get it to work. I'll/I'd be buying two.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
Hey Ken,

I'm right there with you. Let me know where you find the best deals. My biggest concern is compatability and support for using it with FCS2. I don't want to get stuck spending a month babying the thing to get it to work. I'll/I'd be buying two.
My top choices were:
Amazon for 3199
J & R for 3295 but go to the site through MSN live cashback search to get a 7% rebate check
B & H for 3199 and go through live search for a 2.5 percent cashback check.

In the end I went with B and H; I just felt most comfortable with B&H in case something happened (when my Merlin was defective they sent me a replacement right away). I have purchased from J & R before with no problems I just trust B&H more.

I use CS4 premiere and vegas but for AVCHD I have only been using Vegas because they seem to play nice nice together.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Steadman View Post
My top choices were:
Amazon for 3199
J & R for 3295 but go to the site through MSN live cashback search to get a 7% rebate check
B & H for 3199 and go through live search for a 2.5 percent cashback check.

In the end I went with B and H; I just felt most comfortable with B&H in case something happened (when my Merlin was defective they sent me a replacement right away). I have purchased from J & R before with no problems I just trust B&H more.

I use CS4 premiere and vegas but for AVCHD I have only been using Vegas because they seem to play nice nice together.

I ordered mine last week from B & H, scheduled to arrive today. It seems I ordered mine a few days too early, but maybe I can help you out. There is a rebate right now on the HMC150 for an extended life battery and an 8g Panny SDHC card. Info here:

http://texasmediasystems.com/PDFs/01...nasonicHMC.jpg

The only form I've found is through a shop in Texas, but the rebate applies to any HMC150 purchased from any Panasonic dealer within the dates on the form. Print it out and send it in.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
I ordered mine last week from B & H, scheduled to arrive today. It seems I ordered mine a few days too early, but maybe I can help you out. There is a rebate right now on the HMC150 for an extended life battery and an 8g Panny SDHC card. Info here:

http://texasmediasystems.com/PDFs/01...nasonicHMC.jpg

The only form I've found is through a shop in Texas, but the rebate applies to any HMC150 purchased from any Panasonic dealer within the dates on the form. Print it out and send it in.
Congratulations Tom, good choice.

I was just out today shooting with the HMC-150. Great camera.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks a ton for the rebate form Tom!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Congratulations Tom, good choice.

I was just out today shooting with the HMC-150. Great camera.
Thanks for answering my questions while I was researching. It really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Steadman View Post
Thanks a ton for the rebate form Tom!
Glad to help, hopefully everything goes smooth (it should). I was just a few days too early in ordering mine, but at least someone will benefit from the rebate.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders