Card Carrying HMC150 Users SDHC Cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'd be cautious of anecdotal reports of data loss.

Not saying it can't happen, but there are a LOT of knockoff memory cards floating around with big brand names on them (don't buy memory on eBay unless you are VERY sure what you're buying...).

The fake/knockoff stuff is very iffy as to how much data it will hold (usually NOT what's on the label), is prone to data loss (when file sizes and the actual capacity disagree, bad things happen), and good luck with the read/write speed...

Memory is cheap enough as it is, and saving a few $$ on memory from unknown sources is really dumb, but quite common (I tried it myself... thus speaking from experience).

Buy your memory from reputable sources and name brands and I don't think you'll be losing data or sleep.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
A friend of mine just ordered an HMC150 yesterday. He called to tell me he is now "a card carrying HMC150 shooter". I guess it's true in more than one way, since it does not use tapes.

This brings up the topic of SDHC cards. I have searched for manufacturers who list their write speed. I have only found two. OCZ Gold Series lists a speed of 150x and a Kingston that list 133x. I bought some 8 and 16 gb OCZ cards. They are more expensive than most other cards, but I wanted a faster card when recording longer continuous record times like wedding ceremonies that will run between 30-60 minutes.

Has anyone found other cards that list the write speed?

Here are the links to what I found.
Newegg.com - Kingston 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Ultimate Class 6 - 133X (20MB/sec) Flash Card Model SD6/8GB-U - Flash Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold Series 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) 150x Flash Card Model OCZSDHC6PRO-8GB - Flash Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold Series 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) 150x Flash Card Model OCZSDHC6PRO-16GB - Flash Memory

Mark,

Have you checked out the footage on these cards yet? ( 16 gb OCZ cards )Wanted to pickup a few and wanted to know how this worked out.

Thanks!
Steve Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Steve,

I have shot over a dozen events with the OCZ Gold 16gb cards, and they work great.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:35 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks I placed an order for 4 16 Cards at tigerdirect. $44 each. Not bad. Thanks again.

Steve
Steve Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Steve,

I'm glad they were in stock. I have had a tough time finding the 16 gb OCZ Gold cards in stock.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:43 PM   #21
Major Player

If you check out a certain site known for being very slick, you'll see a promo for Sandisk Ultra II 16gb cards for about 12bucks each after rebates. Fantastic deals.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

What is this site you speak of? lol. just kidding. I saw that, but I didn't pick up the Ultra II because of supposed slowness, and I can't afford that. I did pick up 6 8GB Ultra III using a similar rebate, but I'm now looking for a few more to be safe for an upcoming event. I'll take a look at ones mentioned here.
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Class 4's (Ultra IIs) are fast enough for the HMC150...even the EX1/EX3 with MxR adapters. :)

It's just the offloading onto the comp that you will see a small difference in speed...not enough to justify the huge price difference with this deal.

Hope ya pick a few up, it's a great deal.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I just got my HMC150 today..pretty pumped.. While the batteries are charging, thought I would run a speed test on the card that came with it (I got a B&H kit, included a 16gb Class 6 eFilm Pro (Delkin Devices) card.

The Delkin site shows it as a 75x speed device (and $99). B&H shows it at $46 and 150x.

My read speeds all topped out at 21 MB/s no matter what system I tried (in fact, system speed showed little difference).

Write speeds at best were 9.1 MB/s . I know faster speeds are possible, I have a 512 Generic SD card I got with my Zoom H2 recorder, and that thing has always been a smoker for speed, 15 MB/s at best.

I guess it's fast enough, Class 6 starts at 6 MB/s.

And really, it might as well be a 1x Real Time card, because it takes as long as it takes to fill the card with live video. It's the read that matters most, I seriously doubt I'll ever write to this card outside of the camera.

I don't have anything else over 2gb to test , but those are only practical to use as a last resort. Hmmm.. just realized pretty much every piece of my equipment has an SD slot... I think it's going to be around for a long time.
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I bought a Patriot 16 GB SDHC Class 6 today for about $40 CDN, and it is FAST.

I clocked it at 11.5 MB/s. Don't know if speeds above Class 6 matter to the 150, I'll probably never write to this card with a PC.
Greg Paulson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders