Update on SDHC cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Update on SDHC cards

It's been some time since there has been any discussion on card brands, quality, value, etc. I am in the process of deciding on cost vs. name/quality on class 6 16GB cards. It looks to me that the Sandisk Extreme III is the most expensive, with the Panasonic considerably less, and then other brands such as Transcend much less still. I need to make sure that I get quality cards, but I want to minimize the cost as much as practical. I am leaning towards the Panasonic cards, but have not found much info on them.

Any new thoughts 'round here on this topic?
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Major Player

I've done a fair amount of research, and concluded that Transcend's 16GB is the most practical balance between price and quality. The Panasonic cards are overpriced IMO. Sandisk Extreme III would be great if you hard-core into quality, speed etc.

I don't see any reason to go for the 32GB cards unless you had really, really long shooting that couldn't be interrupted. 32GB is cool, but I'd rather save the money and swap the card.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I've done a search here at DVi for "Delkin SDHC" and not much if anything came up. I just ordered 3 of Delkin's 16gb sdhc class 6 cards.

Delkin Devices | 16GB PRO Secure Digital (SDHC) | DDSDPRO2-16GB

I was extremely fortunate enough to spend the money on an HMC150 (after getting a hands on experience with one of Mark Von Lanken's this last weekend) and I needed some memory cards. $44.95 seemed decent.

I will format each of them, record some data, move files around, watch footage, etc. and check for errors.
Brad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting that link. Previously, the only cards that I found that were 150x were the OCZ Gold cards. I have both the 8 gb and 16 gb versions. They have been going up and down a little in price.

As of today the 16 gb version is $42.99 with free shipping at New Egg.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold Series 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) 150x Flash Card Model OCZSDHC6PRO-16GB - Flash Memory

I agree that the Panasonic cards are pricy and they are rated at 133x.

It was great to meet you last weekend. I will let you know how your fisheye shots turned out.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting that link. Previously, the only cards that I found that were 150x were the OCZ Gold cards. I have both the 8 gb and 16 gb versions. They have been going up and down a little in price.............
................It was great to meet you last weekend. I will let you know how your fisheye shots turned out.
Hey, no problem. I think it's great that we all look out for each other. I don't think I've heard of OCZ. I've at least heard of Delkin. Name doesn't mean that much anymore though, some cards just fail.

Great meeting you too man. Really. haha Don't bank on that fisheye footage looking the best. Inexperience with the camera and being a rookie don't mix so well!

Take care Mark.
Brad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Cook View Post
Well, I've done a search here at DVi for "Delkin SDHC" and not much if anything came up. I just ordered 3 of Delkin's 16gb sdhc class 6 cards.

Delkin Devices | 16GB PRO Secure Digital (SDHC) | DDSDPRO2-16GB

I was extremely fortunate enough to spend the money on an HMC150 (after getting a hands on experience with one of Mark Von Lanken's this last weekend) and I needed some memory cards. $44.95 seemed decent.

I will format each of them, record some data, move files around, watch footage, etc. and check for errors.
I use the Delkin 16GB SD Cards. No Problems. Recorded hours at a time with no issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders