DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC takes longer to boot with larger SD card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/191032-hmc-takes-longer-boot-larger-sd-card.html)

Yang Wen April 12th, 2009 09:02 PM

HMC takes longer to boot with larger SD card?

I've been testing out my HMC for a week with an 8GB Class 6 Transcend card.. Just got the 16GB Class 6 Transcend card and I've noticed that the time from turning on the camera to the point where the display comes on in the flip-out LCD is much longer than with the 8GB card. Does the camera do any reading/initializing during boot-up that is tied to the size of the card? With the 16GB card, it takes like 5 seconds before the LCD comes on, which is annoyingly long..

You'd think without a tape drive, it would take much less time for boot up. Boot up with the 16GB is much slower than my DVX..

Jeff Kellam April 13th, 2009 12:36 PM

I haven't noticed a longer boot time with a larger SDHC card, but I haven't measured it either.

I usually use an 8GB SDHC card and I agree the startup time is annoying when you are shooting where the camera is turned off and on a lot. I have heard other people complain too.

D.R. Gates April 13th, 2009 12:55 PM

I just ordered mine, so it won't be here until next week.

I'm assuming you're talking about the first time you power up the unit, and not the lag between hitting record and when it starts recording? I can handle the slower power up lag, just not a delay in recording.

Jeff Kellam April 13th, 2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.R. Gates (Post 1088317)

I'm assuming you're talking about the first time you power up the unit, and not the lag between hitting record and when it starts recording? I can handle the slower power up lag, just not a delay in recording.

Yep, we are talking about the first power up. And it's not bad, I just thought it could be faster being all solid state.

You made a good camera choice, the HMC-150 is the best 1/3" camera currently available. (Unless NAB brings something new, but I highly doubt it.)

Jordan Berry April 13th, 2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.R. Gates (Post 1088317)

Congrats man! We've both made the switch! We should talk!

D.R. Gates April 13th, 2009 05:57 PM

Thanks. I'll need one more before I go all HD. I'm stoked.

Matt Stahley April 14th, 2009 10:07 AM

If you use the stand by mode (the button is on the rear of cam below the scene dial) when out shooting and you are turning the cam on and off a lot the cam will come on instantly without the boot up.

Greg Harris April 14th, 2009 10:27 AM

How do you format these cards on a mac? I should have my camera and cards in one week and I wanna make sure everything is all good.

Matt Stahley April 14th, 2009 12:02 PM

Format the cards in camera. They will mount in your card reader or thru the 150 on a Mac.

Yang Wen April 14th, 2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Stahley (Post 1091926)
If you use the stand by mode (the button is on the rear of cam below the scene dial) when out shooting and you are turning the cam on and off a lot the cam will come on instantly without the boot up.

According the manual the cam still consumes 60% of the power it would in normal non-STDBY mode... What the heck is it using the power on?

Randy Panado April 15th, 2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1092291)
According the manual the cam still consumes 60% of the power it would in normal non-STDBY mode... What the heck is it using the power on?

Same as the GS400/GS250 from Panny. Would cut the start up time in half.

Mark Von Lanken April 15th, 2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.R. Gates (Post 1089240)
Thanks. I'll need one more before I go all HD. I'm stoked.

Hi DR.

There is going to be a new camera announced at NAB that may be a nice companion to the HMC150. I don't have many details. All I know is that it is smaller and a little cheaper than the HMC150. It may not be what you are looking for, but it's something to check out.

Anyone going to NAB?

Randy Panado April 15th, 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1095874)
Hi DR.

There is going to be a new camera announced at NAB that may be a nice companion to the HMC150. I don't have many details. All I know is that it is smaller and a little cheaper than the HMC150. It may not be what you are looking for, but it's something to check out.

Anyone going to NAB?

WAS going to NAB. Plans got canceled :(. I hope cheaper and smaller also doesn't mean "not as good". If it is a reincarnation of the GS400 in HD, that may be interesting!

D.R. Gates April 15th, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1095874)
Hi DR.

Anyone going to NAB?

Thanks for the info, Mark. I'll probably be getting the second 150 rather soon. But I can always use a better low-light camera than the HV30 that I have for wide back shots. Maybe the new cam will fit the bill.

Greg Harris April 16th, 2009 07:09 AM

I'm buying my 150 as soon as BH opens back up but will panny release a newer version at the NAB? That would suck if i purchased the hmc150 and a hmc150A or b came out. Has anyone heard rumors?

Thanks