Should I reconsider buying a 150 due to reputed image softness? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #16
New Boot

Jeff,

I predict there'll soon be 2 FX1000's for sale...

Don't know if you remember me but I initially bought an FX1000, then an HMC150. I liked the HMC150 so much I sold the FX1000 (took a $500+ loss) and bought another HMC. Go shoot with it. I'm confident you'll like it much better than the FX1000 in short order.

I absolutely hated the scroll wheel on the FX1000. Too cumbersome for run & gun. The HMC is so much lighter and it's far better balanced. No rolling shutter. Tapeless. XLR.

The FX1000 was slightly better in low light but not enough to outweigh all of its disadvantages. It also had a slightly sharper image but I prefer the HMC's image. Can't put my finger on why I prefer it, it just looks better to me. One big consideration is 100% of my business is weddings. A slightly softer look is a huge plus for a lot of my closeup shots. Most of these gals' skin isn't perfect and even the HMC is too sharp at times.
Norman Gaddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Been reading allot of posts about the HMC150. Trying to decide if i am ready to move up from my sony SR11. Was considering sony's new xr500 but after viewing allot of video's on this cam, its not what i am looking for. I want more control but want very good video. The comments about softness with the 150 has me a bit worried. Can anyone point me to some video's shot with this? With the cmos version of this cam, HMC40, coming this fall, would this be better than the ccd version of the MHC150? After 5 years of videoing with consumer cams, guess i am ready to go prosumer but would need to do my homework before laying out over 3 grand. Suggestions and comments greatly appriciated on this cam.
Randy Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #18
Trustee

Randy, I started this thread because of concerns I had. However, after reading the comments and seeing footage from the HMC150, I have placed an order and am fully satisfied that I'm making a good choice.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Painter View Post
Been reading allot of posts about the HMC150. Trying to decide if i am ready to move up from my sony SR11. Was considering sony's new xr500 but after viewing allot of video's on this cam, its not what i am looking for. I want more control but want very good video. The comments about softness with the 150 has me a bit worried. Can anyone point me to some video's shot with this? With the cmos version of this cam, HMC40, coming this fall, would this be better than the ccd version of the MHC150? After 5 years of videoing with consumer cams, guess i am ready to go prosumer but would need to do my homework before laying out over 3 grand. Suggestions and comments greatly appriciated on this cam.
Here is somv video, but it is not a comparison, from the way the guy see it, it should do very well as a 720P HD camera but soft at 1080 and that is also what I saw. I only tested it at 1080 cuz my A1 only do 1080.
Panasonic AG-HMC151 first experiments - Panasonic HMC150 on Vimeo
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Major Player

Reading these posts have diminished my excitement for my new HMC-150 which will arrive in 2 weeks.

I own a hv20 right now. I hope the HMC-150 will have a better image than the hv20???

EX1 sounds great but that is double as much.

:(

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Steve, don't be ridiculous. Of course the HMC 150 is better than the HV20. It has three chips instead of one, and is a professional camera with fully professional features.

The HV20 is a consumer toy. Not to knock the Canon, I have the HV30, but there is no comparison.

People comparing the Panasonic, I presume, are using tougher benchmarks than they would the Canon, and their idea of what looks good is more stringent, at least I would presume so.

At the least you will be able to get plenty of great images from the Panasonic and at the worst you'll end up selling it and buying something different.

I just ran the Panasonic this afternoon at a wedding concurrently with an FX1000. They were not next to each other unfortunately as I had planned, but I'll have the footage downloaded soon and will be making a pronouncement soon.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #22
Major Player

Steve? Ah, you meant me. :)

Yeah, I know it will be but this thread made me a touch less excited.

But once I get it I know it will be sweet! I can't wait.

Thanks Jeff!

Sorry I could not buy your camcorder though it was tempting.

Simon
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #23
Inner Circle

No worries, I've got a buyer locally who is waiting for me to decide after I download this footage from today.

If you don't mind paying $600 extra for new you're better off. You'll have the warranty at least. Thing is with virtually no moving parts you'll likely never have to use it.
Old June 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Cool. Good luck!

Hey I still could cancel my order and get a Canon XH A1S? Do you have any experience with them?

Simon
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer View Post
Reading these posts have diminished my excitement for my new HMC-150 which will arrive in 2 weeks.

I own a hv20 right now. I hope the HMC-150 will have a better image than the hv20???

Simon
I use the HMC150 with the HV30, and the HMC150 gives a significantly better image in all but perfect lighting, and at least as good there as well. They cut together quite well. The HV20/HV30 are known for sharpness and are remarkable consumer camcorders, but the image doesn't look any sharper than the HMC's when cut into a timeline together and the HMC's always looks better even to my family and friends who do not know which camera was used for a given shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Painter View Post
With the cmos version of this cam, HMC40, coming this fall, would this be better than the ccd version of the MHC150? A
The HMC40 is not really a CMOS version of the 150, its pretty much a different camera. Its much smaller, has 1/4" sensors, and has a very different look to it (very few buttons on the exterior). I played around with it at NAB. It looks like it might be a good companion to the 150, but if I could only have one it would easily be the 150. That could change when I see some footage from the HMC40, but I doubt it.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #26
Major Player

That is good to hear that they cut well together because I still love my HV20. Just ready to take it to the next level.

I am sticking with the HMC-150! The thought of going tapeless is just too GOOD! I own Prospect HD from Cineform so the thought of editing AVCHD does not scare me.

Thanks for the information.

Simon
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I use my HV30 as a backup cam and I run my wireless through it. It seems simpler than running the wirless on a second channel of the primary or secondary camera and gives me dedicated audio, as opposed to split audio that I get from running two separate audio channels.

I do not plan to sell my HV 30 for a long while. It can be hidden and when close to a subject in good light it is amazing. I love that little camera, I just have to remember it's limitations.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Here's an image from the wedding today. Pretty nice, huh?

I love how black the blacks are.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I reconsider buying a 150 due to reputed image softness?-hmc150.jpg  
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer View Post
Cool. Good luck!

Hey I still could cancel my order and get a Canon XH A1S? Do you have any experience with them?

Simon
I did plenty of comparisons between the XH-A1 & HMC-150 last year, a little searching will find them.

I just edited footage this weekend from a recital I shot 2 weeks ago with the HMC-150. Last year I shot the same recital in the same conditions with the XH-A1. I used the project layout from lasts years recital and took a comparison look at the XH-A1 & HMC-150 footage in this dim theater environment with on-stage lighting. The HMC-150 clearly has much better image quality, far less noise and better color for shooting a stage show.

Shooting these stage shows under a mix of unbalanced tungsten lighting is tough on getting colors correct. I believe the HMC-150 allows a better intrinsic control of color and a more pleasing color reproduction when you master it. The HMC-150 also has a better dynamic range (but you have to learn how to control it) where you are able to keep faces from blowing out but still keep a good exposure level on the costumes and backdrops. I think the HMC-150 menu system is also easier to use to make relatively quick adjustments to things like master pedestal.

Also, like Jeff Harper was saying, the lack of tape and moving parts is a huge plus for durability. I would never take my tape media camera out where there was a possibility of moisture/condensing humidity or too much dust because tapes will not do well in those conditions. I find myself shooting with the HMC-150 in all kinds of places and situations I wouldn't shoot with the XH-A1.

Currently, there just isn't a better overall camera than the HMC-150 in it's price range.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #30
Major Player

Now I am excited again.

LOL

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders