Anyone using Edius with HMC-150 for same day edits? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Chaille,

Probably the easiest and quickest way to output raw footge with timecode is to use a stand alone DVD burner and burn a DVD straight from the camera with timecode running.

Another way of doing a quick DVD is within Edius. You can burn a simple DVD staight from the timeline. This is what we do for SDEs. However when making the final DVD or Bluray we use Encore so we can make fancy menus and have more navigational options.

You can download a free trial version of Edius here.
About GV Desktop User Accounts

As far as laptops, we recenly puchased an HP HDX Premium with these specs.
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9100 (2.26Ghz, 12MB 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
1TB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Here's the link to the base unit that you can customize.
HP Official Store — Buy an HP HDX 18t Premium series notebook PC from HP

I compared the HP with Dell, Alien Ware and Sager. I own four Dells (two towers and two laptops) so I shopped Dell first, but the HP offered the best bang for the buck. When I made my purchase, HP had a $250 off coupon and I found a matching coupon at Dell Coupons, Best Buy Coupons, Discount Cheap Laptops, Computer Sale so it dropped the price from $2700 to $2200. Watch Tech Bargains. I have seen a 30% off coupon on HP laptops there, which would have dropped the price to about $1900, of course that coupon came out after I made my purchase. :-(

Here is another thing to consider when shopping specs. For Edius, a Quad core laptop is the way to go. Don't get a Core 2 Duo, even if it has a faster clock speed than a Quad Core. I also highly suggest getting DDR3 RAM. I bought a Dell XPS 24 in July. Same specs as the HP laptop I recenly bought, but it had DDR2 RAM. It was noticably slower. We returned the Dell XPS 24 and bought the HP laptop.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
Instead of needing something like a FirecoderBlu (which is harder to get into a laptop), how about using an nVidia CUDA-based graphics card and something like Badaboom (http://badaboomit.com/?q=node/4)?

Badaboom can export H.264 using the computer's graphics card acceleration, perhaps into AVCHD or Blu-Ray compatible formats, not 100% sure on that. But if it's a viable software solution for what you need done, perhaps it'd open up the range of laptops you could look at because you wouldn't need a slot for a firecoder card?
Hi Barry,

I finally got around to checking out Badaboom. I was hoping it would convert AVCHD to M2T, but it does not, so I am still stuck with converting AVCHD to Edius HQ before I can edit, even on my fast Quad Core laptop.

What Badaboom does really well is convert to Mp4. I have not tested it for Bluray yet, but converting a file to Mp4 for the web looks fantastic.
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM   #18
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Chaille,

Probably the easiest and quickest way to output raw footge with timecode is to use a stand alone DVD burner and burn a DVD straight from the camera with timecode running.

Another way of doing a quick DVD is within Edius. You can burn a simple DVD staight from the timeline. This is what we do for SDEs. However when making the final DVD or Bluray we use Encore so we can make fancy menus and have more navigational options.

You can download a free trial version of Edius here.
About GV Desktop User Accounts

As far as laptops, we recenly puchased an HP HDX Premium with these specs.
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Processor Q9100 (2.26Ghz, 12MB 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
1TB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Here's the link to the base unit that you can customize.
HP Official Store — Buy an HP HDX 18t Premium series notebook PC from HP

I compared the HP with Dell, Alien Ware and Sager. I own four Dells (two towers and two laptops) so I shopped Dell first, but the HP offered the best bang for the buck. When I made my purchase, HP had a $250 off coupon and I found a matching coupon at Dell Coupons, Best Buy Coupons, Discount Cheap Laptops, Computer Sale so it dropped the price from $2700 to $2200. Watch Tech Bargains. I have seen a 30% off coupon on HP laptops there, which would have dropped the price to about $1900, of course that coupon came out after I made my purchase. :-(

Here is another thing to consider when shopping specs. For Edius, a Quad core laptop is the way to go. Don't get a Core 2 Duo, even if it has a faster clock speed than a Quad Core. I also highly suggest getting DDR3 RAM. I bought a Dell XPS 24 in July. Same specs as the HP laptop I recenly bought, but it had DDR2 RAM. It was noticably slower. We returned the Dell XPS 24 and bought the HP laptop.
Mr Mark,

Thats funny! That was what I have been puzzled about today. I noticed that alot of the duo 2's were clocking faster than the quads. I guess from experience you knew that would be my next question, espically if I was paying attention. That saved alot of time for me!! I
will be looking in the direction of the specs you suggested.
As we say in Louisiana..... a la' Bon Temps Roule! Let the good times roll!!

Hope to talk to you again
Chaille
Chaille Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:02 AM   #19
New Boot

I bought this Sony Vaio FW46GJ (1600$)
Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80 GHz)
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
400 GB (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
Blu-ray Disc™ Combo Drive
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics
16.4" wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display
HDMI In/Out Connector

So far so good, only thing scares me this vaio series makes problem easily and costs extremely high to fix..

Still have to convert canopus hq to easier editing.
Ahmet Toca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Major Player

It's too early for any type of official announcement, but I don't think we will be talking about transcoding AVCHD in Edius much longer. That's all I can say for now.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #21
Barry Wan Kenobi

You already don't "have" to transcode, EDIUS supports it natively, just not necessarily at full frame rates.

But if you're hinting that EDIUS might be embracing CUDA for realtime playback like CS4 does, that would be fantastic!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #22
New Boot

30min Avchd footage 200mb when convert to Canopus HQ became 29GB!!!

How am I going to edit those footages, any idea? pls? What should I do?
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmet Toca View Post
30min Avchd footage 200mb when convert to Canopus HQ became 29GB!!!

How am I going to edit those footages, any idea? pls? What should I do?
Just load into the Edius bin/timeline and start editing. HQ decompresses AVCHD from GOP to frame by frame format; that is why the file size is so much bigger. So far my AVCHD2HQ conversions work out at c7x to 10x size of the original. You should be able to achieve fluid timeline response and frame accurate editing now.

GV have said on their site that an Edius upgrade will be announced at IBC. I assume that this will be another 5.* release. It is said to include burning Blu-ray from the timeline.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #24
Inner Circle

You can burn a Blu-ray from the timeline now in Edius. It is AVC encoded only though.

The Edius crowd is waiting for Edius 6 which will hopefully add full alpha support and also the AVCHD boost would be nice as well.

But I agree this will probably not be V6 as it has been stated that an entire code re-write is needed to add full alpha support.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Andrews View Post
Just load into the Edius bin/timeline and start editing. HQ decompresses AVCHD from GOP to frame by frame format; that is why the file size is so much bigger. So far my AVCHD2HQ conversions work out at c7x to 10x size of the original. You should be able to achieve fluid timeline response and frame accurate editing now.

GV have said on their site that an Edius upgrade will be announced at IBC. I assume that this will be another 5.* release. It is said to include burning Blu-ray from the timeline.
If I try to edit without converting file, it's being impossible to catch frames, cause it's really slow...

Also at the end I'll send this footage to news agencies which will be used in broadcasting. So I want to convert Avchd to a SD quility format, but how?

10x in advance...
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I think David was referring to the AVCHD clips being converted to CanopusHQ in the bin before being put on the timeline.

Or you could convert them before placing them in Edius using the AVCtoHQ converter utility.

Does this help? I don't know if I answered your question.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Ahmet, it sounds as though you are new to Edius. If so, it is worth checking out this Grass Valley/Edius on-line training site:
EDIUS Training

Although it describes how to use Edius v4, most of the essentials carry over to Edius v5. The section called Basics describes project settings.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #28
Major Player

After reading this and a few other threads I ended up coughing p blood..er money and purchased an i7 920 (1366), 6 GB ram, nvidea 9500 GT 1GB and a 1TB HD (for now). MB is overclockable as well. I really hope editing native avccam PH will go smothly with this setup.

I was an AVID editor, but it seems avid has problems with avc and I have heard edius 5 handles codecs really well. Is this true?

Any other AVID editors using Edius? Wondering how different the interface is and any other quirks. I can't really play with it till I get the new setup in a week or so.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #29
New Boot

Yeap I was new to Edius. Now I see no sense of converting footage to Canopus HQ to edit, which takes to much time and place too. Just convert it to mpeg which is enough for broadcasting or for burning on dvd.

Sad there is no proxy editing on Edius like premier.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #30
Regular Crew

EDIUS Neo2 AVCHD Booster should be out in the next few weeks. The demo is available for download from Grass Valley's site.
Xian Messerschmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders