HMC150: What do the Ferrite Cores do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Trustee

HMC150: What do the Ferrite Cores do?

Do I need them? Never seen them shipped seperately from a wire before.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Okay, you guys flunk. I looked it up myself and here's what Wikipedia states:

A ferrite bead (core) is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called ferrite cores, ferrite rings, ferrite EMI filters, a ferrite choke or mistakenly as ferrous beads.
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Major Player

OK Paul...but what are we suppose to do with them?
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Trustee

They are in the box with an HMC150. I guess you put them on the output wires if you need them.
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Some countries have very stringent regulations on noise emmisions, like the UK - the problem with modern kit especially kit with switch mode power supplies is that they generate lots of 'interference' style noise, which often gets carried by the cabling into other pieces of kit. On top of this, most stuff nowadays have plastic cases. Some, like laptops, have an internal lightweight metal screen, but some don't bother. If you live near something with high output radio frequencies in use (I live next to a fire station), then the interconnecting cables can act as a sort of antenna, allowing the Radio Frequency energy into your system. I suffered from this in my edit suit, with the fire calls being heard at low level through the monitors. These ferrite filters, which simply have a loop of your cable passed through them allow low frequencies to pass through unaffected, but any higher frequency energy gets blocked by the filter. In my case, nearly, but not quite curing my problem. I've found them pretty useful on the power supply to my Dell laptop when I use it to feed a PA system. There is a large amount of background noise when the latop runs on mains power, but adding a ferrite ring removes most of this. If you have a bigger problem, then the magnet inside an old loudspeaker works pretty well too - just pass the cable through it half a dozen times, and then tape it up.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thieda View Post
OK Paul...but what are we suppose to do with them?
The 150 manual has pretty complete instructions on how to use these on page 72-73.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
The 150 manual has pretty complete instructions on how to use these on page 72-73.
The manual, Larry? Like I use the manual....LOL...

Seriously, thanks...doesn't look like I need them, then.
I haven't found a need to hook up the camera to anything with a cable...

Bob T.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders