HMC70 auto audio level at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HMC70 auto audio level

Hi Guys

I almost exclusively use my audio on manual on the HMC70 cams but I hooked up the radio mic with a spare cable and plugged it into the front external mic input and set the channel on "auto"
I was surprised that even with silence, the auto level didn't seem to have the usual "pumping" effect that older camcorders had where the gain shot up as soon as there was silence and then was reduced as the mic received input from a voice.

My older Proline cams (DVC20's) had a "Manual + AGC" setting which allowed you to manually set the level but also clamped the signal if it went over 0db and had a max limit of +6db.

Just in case I ever have to use the audio section on auto...does anyone know if Panasonic have made improvement on the level control so you could, in fact, get usable audio from it
even if the sound levels are going from almost silence to normal????? or will you still get the very annoying level increase during silence???

Thanks

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I've used auto audio quite a bit and been very please with the result. I had no issues with audio level increase during silent time. This camera audio levels stay at the low end even when audio level are very high. I done a few jobs where no matter what auto or manual my audio the level have been in the red. I'm alway shocked to fine clean audio when playing back the footage. I don't get any audio drop out or poping.
Abraham Texidor Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Abraham

I think I have seen a couple of your clips on vimeo with the HMC70 when I was deciding whether to go for Panasonic or Sony HD1000's . Glad I bought the Pannys!! Mine are both the HMC72 which is an HMC70 (PAL)

Yeah I notice that in auto really loud music goes into the red all the time yet the limiter seems to clamp it well. I do find that going via XLR's at weddings is a lot better (especially at receptions!!) as you can turn mic attentuation on to help limit the input a bit!!!

At wedding ceremonies I still use the radio mic thru my XLR input as it seems to have a little too much output to control on manual and the attentuation helps a huge amount!!!

Thanks for the input it's nice to know that I can zap the cam into auto if I need to!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders