Cruising with my HMC-40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cruising with my HMC-40

Hi all,

I'm back from an eight-day cruise where I tried to learn more about my HMC-40. I did some experimentation with setting the white balance, adjusting the shutter speed, adjusting the iris and using my Comer 1800 on-board light. I took baby steps with the adjustments, though, because I had to use the footage in a work assignment.

Here is the result, converted to SD and then mp4:

Videos: Singles cruises offer fun, safety for solo travelers - Treasure Coast, FL | TCPalm.com

I know I overexposed the opening clip and I have some dark footage from inside the ship because I didn't take my Comer light with me all the time. But I'm a lot happier with the video from this trip than I was with the video referenced in my previous thread from last month. I'm going on another cruise in February so any suggestions on how I can improve are welcome.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Sherri

Nice and varied footage which gives you a good idea of what the camera is capable of!!
Just for interest, did you shoot that in interlaced or progessive mode ???

Notice any problems with fast motion yet?? That's what most are worried about with the 3mos sensors as opposed to CCD's

Keep us updated!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I shot in 1080/60i. I didn't have any problems with motion, panning was smooth with no "blooming" effect. Of course, the fastest motion I had to track consisted of drunk guys dancing down the stairs on the Lido deck during the Hairy Chest contest...:)

I'm going to use the Panny tomorrow at a Veteran's Day celebration at the local UDT-SEALS museum. There's going to be paratroopers and all sorts of demonstrations so I'm sure I'll get a motion workout.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Sherri

I'll look forward to that!!! Hopefully you will post a video even if it's on YouTube!!

My cams (HMC72's) only shoot 1080i so I have no choice but they perform very well for weddings (a bit heavy though at 6.5lbs!!!)

Enjoy your shoot tomorrow and it will be nice to see where the motion limit is on the 3MOS sensors!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Chris

I wish I could put up some of the video from our Halloween karaoke party. You haven't lived until you've watched a 350-pound woman dressed in a French maid outfit sing/scream "I Will Survive." Or another cruiser dressed like Michael Jackson croak out an equally horrendous rendition of "Thriller." Of course, the clips would give you an idea of the low light/stage lights capability of the Panny, but I'd fear for my life if I put those clips online....:) They aren't pretty.

However, I will add a link to my SEAL video tomorrow, provided the event doesn't get rained out.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders