Performance of AVCCAM Transcoding.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Performance of AVCCAM Transcoding....

The 150 is one of the cameras I'm thinking of buying and I know there's a bit of a time cost when transcoding into an Intra-Frame codec for use with FCP?

How is it when doing that with a MacBook Pro Core2 2.4 ghz and which Intra-Frame Codec do you use that gives you a good balance between speed and quality when it comes to editing?

As far as I heard, there's Apple ProRes, DVCProHD and NeoScene.

So for an hour of AVCCAM footage, how long would I expect it would take to convert to these three?

Thanks!
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't own a 150 but...

I have a Panasonic HMC150 Demo DVD that I got from my local video association meeting. It contains 10 raw AVCHD files of the Golden Gate Bridge that a HMC150 shot that a person can import them into their own NLE for testing.

I am running an iMac 2.66 core 2Duo, 2GB RAM, using FCS2. The trans code time to the ProRes 4:2:2 was really about real time, meaning a 10 second clip took about 10 seconds to trans code and so on.

Honestly I was kinda shocked. I even burned a DVD of the footage and it all went pretty quick and looks good.

I hope to get this Camera before too long...
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
Trustee

two friends of mine run relatively new core 2 duos (one MBP and one imac) they have both taken footage from my camera and transcoded to pro res. About real time for them. My 8-core MP cuts it to about 1/3 real time. Pro res is really nice to edit with and looks great!
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders