HMC40 Grand Canyon Snow Storm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Major Player

HMC40 Grand Canyon Snow Storm

Snow is rare in Arizona, but when it falls there are few places as spectacular as the Grand Canyon.

During this weekend, the clouds cleared for only a few minutes each evening revealing the inner canyon. These short clearings were perfect for timelapse.

Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dan,

That is beautiful footage. Very nicely shot and edited! You need to start selling your videos as new-age DVDs....:)

I'm curious - how did the HMC-40 fare in the freezing temperature? Obviously, the video turned out splendidly, but did you have any problems with it acting up mechanically? Reason I ask, I may be going to Pennsylvania in a few weeks so I'm wondering if there's any extra precautions I need to take with the camera when shooting in the cold.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you for the compliment Sherri. I have to give most of the credit for my video to the Grand Canyon.

I spent many miles on foot with the HMC40. Half the time it was in a backpack the other half attached to a tripod resting on my shoulder while walking. I carry a backpacking stuff-sack that I throw over the camera while on the tripod waiting out heavy snow. The camera performed perfectly.

Thanks for watching. Have a great time on your trip.
Dan Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4
New Boot

Dan,

Great stuff. I am curious as to what tripod setup you use. I am considering the hmc40 because of its size. I don't want to then have to lug around a massive tripod. I don't have a good tripod and based on what I have been reading I am concerned about getting one that is a waste of money. The "good" ones usually weigh too much and are bulky.
Ladd Bodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello Ladd,

I use a Manfrotto 755XB half ball tripod and 700RC2 head. The setup weighs about 6.5 pounds. A carbon fiber version is about 1 pound less.

Though I'd like a higher end head, this setup has worked well and I've carried it for many miles.

Good luck with your choice.
Dan
Dan Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders