HMC150 will NOT work with strobe lights :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 29th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC150 will NOT work with strobe lights :(

Hi folks,

Really hoping someone can help me out here as Im having real issues with my HMC151E (HMC150 for all intents and purposes).

I shoot in nightclubs quite a bit but the HMC150 just dies when there is a lot of strobe light action happening.

Eg:

http://www.strathycruise.com/pics/badavchd.jpg

It might be a one off problem but I was out working at Xmas and again with the strobing came the problem of absolute mush recording.

Orig 400mb AVCHD file:
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/795968098...7f335c1aaf4556

Smaller chunk from a 1.6gb file which Im not going to upload, but saved out as MP4:
https://download.yousendit.com/TzY3RE9pTk03N0FLSkE9PQ

I was recommended changing my setting from PH mode which is variable to one of the other modes but on my 151E I cant see an option for recording in 25p mode in anything other than PH mode :S

Can anyone help as Im going mad with this and my starter HD cam the HV20 and its supposedly inferior HDV system never exhibited this kind of result :(

Many thanks for your help,

Rikki
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks like you may have been shooting straight into the strobes? At any rate Panasonic service needs to see this. The 150 should not be behaving in this manner. It is under warranty, so I would send it in ASAP.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Rikki

The pink cast seems to indicate without much doubt that you have a damaged CCD chip.. it's probably not the fact that it's doing it with the strobe but the strobe light itself emits a huge amount of light which is causing the one CCD of the 3 to oversaturate. Technically very bright lights (like the sun) directly into the lens can damage a CCD chip ...I've never had it happen to me but enough lumens from a strobe into your lens (especially zoomed) could, in theory, damage a chip especially if you are shooting manual with the iris wide open!!
As Steve says, send it into Service while it's under warranty and include some sample stills with the camera...even if they can't simulate the problem they will probably put in new CCD's for you

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Tourist

Perhaps filmed too many Laser beams?
Jellen Leempoels is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders