Panasonic HMC150 Manual Focus/Assist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 19th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic HMC150 Manual Focus/Assist

Hi All,

Just sent back the JVC GYHM100 with the intent of getting the Panasonic HMC150. One of the things I did like about the JVC was peaking and I know that the 150 does not have that (it has the enlarger and graph).

I have read mixed reports regarding the manual focus and focus assist.

How is the manual focus and focus assist funcation on the 150?

Thanks,

TL
Tim Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Because HD will show any focus errors, I always check my focus with the Focus Assist, which displays an expanded version of your image, and you can do this while you are filming, so it's easy to perform a quick check.

For a good hands on review of the HMC-150, take a look at this one:

In the Field: Panasonic AG-HMC150 by Mark Von Lanken
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Trustee

the assist works but is not ideal. You can't always reach around to the button and when you do, generally you bump the camera. The LCD and viewfinder are pretty useless so I rely on an external monitor (SmallHD DP1) for critical focus and it's never let me down. I also use a varizoom rock controller so I don't have to touch the camera. Makes it more of a studio setup but I've used it a bunch outdoors run and gun on a tripod too.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lawrence View Post
One of the things I did like about the JVC was peaking and I know that the 150 does not have that
The 150 does have peaking. It doesn't have the monochrome image with color peaking like the JVC has, but it does have conventional peaking which draws a white outline around any elements that are in sharp focus.

I've been using the HMC150 for quite a while now, and I don't have any trouble getting good focus off of using the peaking in combination with the magnified focus assist. Having an external monitor (with adequate resolution) is always better, of course, but it's not like focusing is hard without it; the peaking and magnified focus assist work very well to ensure razor-crisp focus.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #5
New Boot

Coming from a still photography background (film/DSLR, Large Format), I find the HMC-150's focusing aids extremely convenient and very precise. With a little practice, getting good focus is not an issue. Keep EVF DTL on, zoom in and use the Focus Assist function.
Anindya Mukherjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Barry,

I now have the HMC150 (love it). Manual focus with expander and histogram is fine. I do not, however, see an option for any sort of peaking. Where is it in the menus or is it always on and I'm just not looking close enough?

Thanks,

TL
Tim Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Major Player

The button that says EVF DETAIL. It's right near all the other buttons under the LCD.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Denny!

TL
Tim Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders